586,060 active members*
4,468 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > PROBLEMS WITH SPINDLE STALLING OUT???

Exclamation PROBLEMS WITH SPINDLE STALLING OUT???

Hello all! I have a Haas SL20T lathe. I am trying to take a .050" deep face cut a piece of Freemax 45 material, (which I have never used before) and it keeps stalling out the spindle. I am using an RPM of 200, (only because I have an 8" chuck and am clamped on a piece of material that is 10.25" in diameter using aluminum pie jaws) and my feed rate is .009". I have tried everything I can think of from slowing down the spindle... speeding the spindle up.... to even playing with the feeds as well and so far all I have been able to accomplish is this feeling of a major kick in the (nuts).

Can anyone offer me any suggestions of what to try?

Thanks in advance!

I'm not familiar with Haas, but if your lathe has low range spindle gearing...

Try M41 to engage the low range.

Hope this helps!
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers

spindle stalling

if running on 3 phase power make sure you have power on all 3 phases, especially if 1 of 3 fuses is blown. if wired for 230 volts make sure you are getting 230 and not 208 volts.
    ........some lathes have a slip clutch design to prevent machine damage if for example tool post is brought into the spinning chuck. Clutches need adjustment sometimes if slipping too easily
    .......check that drive belts are tight. I would suggest checking the machine maintenance manual.

What is the tensile strength of Freemax 45? I think it must be well up there at 75,000 psi or something and if you are dealing with plate material it is likely to be work hardened.

I think you are trying something that the SL20 is not made for. The SL20 does not have a gearbox and the maximum torque is at around 650rpm, when you are running at 200 rpm you are below half the maximum.

I think for that material and that diameter you really need a machine with a gearbox.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.