586,700 active members*
2,558 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

One Shot Oiling System

I was wondering if anyone has modified their mill to have a one shot oiling system and could give me some advice. The problem I have with this project is how to select a proper metering device. If I use a flow valve than I do not know how to adjust it so that it is working properly (not too much or too little oil and all the same flow rate) and I have not been able to find out how to calculate which fixed metering valve I should use.

I also would be open to reccomendations on how to cut the groves for the oil (working on the mill, hence they can't be milled, could use a rotary tool though) and what the design should be. Its obvious that making the oil wells too big would be bad, but I don't know how wide/deep they should be. I like the idea of the Z with the extra horizontal line in the middle

I think other people have just used a Dremel type tool and made one long Diag cut. I don't believe they have to be all that deep. KDNTools will provide the cut and drilling as needed for the set up.

For metering you can always start with a small orface and open them up as needed. More time consuming, but if you don't know what you don't know than you won't know.

Take none of this at face value, check with others before commiting.