586,082 active members*
3,658 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

no parallel port what are my options

Hi there, loooong time lurker, but still a newbie thanks to those pesky things like kids and jobs. I've never done any machining at all, but have quit a bit of cad experience in construction. I'm just about to get started on my first machine, and have just started looking into the software end.

The thing that appeals to me in emc2 is the price or lack there of. This is a learning experience, and would rather not learn away all my money. Problem is I don’t have any parallel ports. I've read that emc2 doesn't work through the usb. Is there any way around this? Is a parallel port card in a pci slot or the pmcia slot on an old laptop going to work? Or do I have to acquire a new computer.

If you have a free PCI slot, consider a 5i20 or 5i23 "Anything I/O" board from Mesa Electronics. These work well with EMC2, and can drive both steppers and servos, using the HostMot2 driver. Price is about $200 if I recall correctly.

Here is a list of all the motion control hardware that works with EMC2 (including HostMot2).

EMC2 and no parallel port

the easiest thing to do is look for a used computer with a parallel port.

For $200 to $300 I easily bought a used Dell desktop computer with 512mb ram. Usually you would want to do Cad work on a separate computer. A computer dedicated to CAM is faster if no other programs are running in the background.

Well the first question I would ask is what are you trying to build / run now and in the future. Money spend on a mesa card for a little router or mini mill is a little overkill unless
    you want it to run really fast or need alot of extra I/O. (IMHO) Then again if later you will
    want to use servos or convert a larger mill / lathe with lots of I / O requirements then the Mesa is a better choice.
    A PCI parallel port works great in most cases. Some cards have been reported that don't work properly with the mesa 7i43 and ppmc ( the parport cards fault) but if you are using the card just to send step signals to say a Gecko step controller I think they all work. I remember talk about a parport using pmcia but can't remember the details.

Good cheap computers are easily purchased from E-Bay. My last one cost $40 shipped, and it's an IBM with lots of memory and a big hard drive.

IF you need a CRT, Come and get one! I have four too many. Those things are like rabbits in a corner.

EMC is a great option, but you will want a dedicated Linux box.

.02 Cal

Yea, thanks for the offer CalG, I just recycled 2 crts, I ain't going there again. Space is another issue. I'll pay if I need a moniter. I already have a Univelop board, and tested my $.95 steppers in the set up utility, so that money is spent.

Chester, this is a small disposable thing, If I continue with the hobby I'll spend the big money in the future.

I've been leaning towards replacing our aging living room pc, and using that one, as long as a pci card would work.