586,042 active members*
3,832 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > HELP! CUtting sheet metal with plasma

Unhappy HELP! CUtting sheet metal with plasma

We are currently working on cutting some shims from 11 gauge and 16 gauge sheet metal on our plasma burner. We have tried as many as 5 sheets 60x246 at once to cut faster. We are getting to much slag with the shims on the top and bottom sheets. We have reduced it to 2 sheets but the slag is still a problem. Any ideas on how to reduce the slag and how many sheets we can use to maximze our labor?

First....you need to provide details regarding your cutting machine....the torch height control systems....and the plasma system you are using along with which consumable parts....and your speed, cut current and torch standoff info.

If you have a Hypertherm plasma system.....I can most likely help you cut these materials dross free...assuming your machine can handle the speeds required, and that you have an accurate height control system.

Stack cutting only works if the sheets are stacked tightly....any gap between the sheets will cause dross and welding of the sheets. I do not recomend stack cutting if you are looking for best cut quality.

Please provide more info! I just cut 50 small shims from 1/8 inch carbon steel with my Hypertherm Powermax45 with very minimal dross....the cuts were done at 140 inches per minute.

Jim Colt