586,913 active members*
2,885 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Artcam vs. other cad programs

Artcam vs. other cad programs

We run a custom cabinet shop with a Thermwood cnc. We are using ecabinetsystems for our maching of cabinet parts, but we need another program for custom parts. I have been comparing Artcam insignia, Mastercam Router, and Bobcad. Any opions on these programs?

Mastercam Router and Mastercam Art would work nicely. There are also some great scripts for creating family of parts automatically in Router, (including geometry AND toolpaths!).

Haven't looked at the cost for both, but as a cheeper alternative, there's a fairly decent priced c-hook to do raster-to-vector conversions in MC Router, for any artwork you do.

You might consider going over to eMastercam.com and asking a few questions. (They'll be extremely biased to MC, but you'll get all the answers you want.)
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

What type of parts are you talking about. There are a lot of woodworking specific solutions available. Do you want nesting? Mostly parts from sheet stock? Or 3D type parts? I do all our custom parts in AutoCAD and CadCODE. http://www.cadcode.com/index.php?cat=6
    Both hardwood parts and sheet parts.
    What about AlphaCAM? http://www.planitsolutions.eu.com/li...fm/PageRef:930
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

parts

I would need nesting for sheet stock and we also do custom parts.

Every so often I need to design a part....I download different demos of software to capture the design (sheetmetal enclosures, 2 D parts, etc.)...after spending a week after hours attempting to draw on the CAD...I resort to the Pencil, Pad, & Straight Edge and Compass method for capturing my design.

So given that I don't want to make my living as a CAD person, what's CAD options do I have left? Recommendations are welcomed.

I have a Thermwood machine, actually three that we use, and we use both Mastercam router and Artcam pro. Insignia would be a good software if you are only looking at doing 2d parts. You have to go pro to get the shape editor, which is sort of the power of the Artcam. Mastercam is a better program for technical drawing. Artcam is a lot by feel and look as far as how you design things. Technical is not impossible, just difficult, or at least more difficult.

Im with you Viper. I've been looking at software since I started with CNC and havent found anything reasonable yet. I have TurboCAD for drawing, because it was only 15.00, but I still dont have a CAM program to tie all of this together. I play around with CNC for engraving and stuff, but if I need to get something made, I just make it. By the time I screw around with software I can have the part made manually. I would love to find a reasonable, capable CAM program, but I dont think there are any.
    Halfnutz

Quote Originally Posted by Halfnutz View Post
    Im with you Viper. I've been looking at software since I started with CNC and havent found anything reasonable yet. I have TurboCAD for drawing, because it was only 15.00, but I still dont have a CAM program to tie all of this together. I play around with CNC for engraving and stuff, but if I need to get something made, I just make it. By the time I screw around with software I can have the part made manually. I would love to find a reasonable, capable CAM program, but I dont think there are any.
    I have no experience in CNC CAD/CAM but I have been researching different options for quite some time now.

It appears that Cabinet Pro (CNC Edition) allows you to do 3D Renderings, Shop Drawings/Designs, Bidding, Cutlists, Panel Optimization, and transfer g-code to CNC Machine all in this single program. I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but it seems as I am leaning this way for my first software purchase.

Anyone have any insight/experience with this software?