586,094 active members*
3,997 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Joe`s 2006 R2 CNC. Has anybody cut the parts?

Hi Fellas, We have offered to help forum member BananaBoat by cutting out the MDF parts for his DIY build of a Joe`s R2 CNC Router.

There appears to be a couple of stumbling blocks to doing this.
    1) The Solid Works files are in DWG format - which i believe means that we cannot import the files into V Carve Pro to create toolpaths and G Code to machine the parts.

2) The files need to be converted to Metric sizes in order to use our standard board sizes.

Has anybody succeeded in doing this? I have read quite a few threads on the forum where people have asked the same questions - but cannot find the answers.

From what i read there seems to be a lot of interest in DIY machines - so if anybody is willing to share - or help to create the files in V Carve Pro- we would be willing to asist members in cutting these parts for them.

Our new machine arrives mid August - so there is no rush.

Any takers? Would a carton of Crownies help? Unfortunately my computer skills are not good - so any help is much appreciated.

Here is a pic of our soon to arrive 1200 x 2400 CNC Router.

Thanks in advance.

Rocket.

I have been doing some research on this machine. Some results of this -

Joe will allow people to download his plans and build this machine for their own personal use - Not to be used for any commercial purpose.

Joes Website http://www.joescnc.com/kitsplans.php

The download ( Zip file ) http://rs134.rapidshare.com/files/13...l_2006_R-2.zip

One of Joes threads -very useful http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17279&page=4

My only interest in this is to find a file to cut the parts for another forum member. Does anybody have a file in V Carve Pro, or a file that can be imported into it.
    Rocket.

A couple of photos of the kit - as supplied in the USA by joescnc.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wood Joes CNC.jpg   Wood%201 More of Joes CNC.jpg  

If you download that .zip file, you'll find .dwg files that you should be able to load into V-Carve Pro. Is your MDF 18mm or 19mm down there? I haven't looked closely at the plans, so you may need to make some small changes to accommodate different thicknesses.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi Ger21, I have checked with our MDF supplier and found out that in Australia we have 18mm thickness.

The metric conversion of 3/4" to mm is 19.05. So we could machine a 25mm board down to 19.05mm, or as you suggest - change the dimensions to suit the 18mm board. Not sure which way to go yet.

Found another good thread which has a file for nested base cutting of the MDF board -

http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53757

Look at post no.2 from Joe.

For interested members, we will post more on this subject as progress is made.

Rocket

Excellent reading

Found this thread in the DIY section of the forum.

It is the story of two school students who built a joescncR2 machine using the cnc router in their wood work classes.

http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46425

Lots of great photos of the machine near the end.

Rocket.

Hey Rocket,

Just sent you an email about this. I'd be happy to help create the V-carve files. I'll pop down sometime and help you out. I can mod the files to metric if you want as well.

Cheers

MattyZee

Matty, you are a legend.

I have scoured the forum looking for a thread where somebody has converted the files to metric specifications. Found lots of threads where people wanted to - but nobody followed up.

Appreciate it mate.

Rocket.

Smile Converting drawings to metric

MDF forms a surface skin when pressed. To machine 25mm to 19mm would seriously reduce it strength. You would better to use 18mm with a 1 mm spacer where needed or to convert your plans to metric. If you can get me full solidworks plans I will convert them to metric for you.

Quote Originally Posted by rocket67 View Post
    Hi Ger21, I have checked with our MDF supplier and found out that in Australia we have 18mm thickness.

The metric conversion of 3/4" to mm is 19.05. So we could machine a 25mm board down to 19.05mm, or as you suggest - change the dimensions to suit the 18mm board. Not sure which way to go yet.

Found another good thread which has a file for nested base cutting of the MDF board -

http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53757

Look at post no.2 from Joe.

For interested members, we will post more on this subject as progress is made.

Rocket

I really wish Joe would update his plans for us Aussie battlers...!

C'mon Joe!

Quote Originally Posted by dhenry View Post
    MDF forms a surface skin when pressed. To machine 25mm to 19mm would seriously reduce it strength. You would better to use 18mm with a 1 mm spacer where needed or to convert your plans to metric. If you can get me full solidworks plans I will convert them to metric for you.
    dhenry

you can grab them from here
    http://b16a.gotdns.com/downloads/Joe...l_2006_R-2.zip

I sure hope you can convert these in Solidworks!

many thanks

Smile File does not help

The file you sent me is an XML file. While I can read and veiw it I need the viewer file.

What I would like best is a PDF of the drawings so I can draw them in from scratch using standard metric components. What do you want back drawings or tool paths?

I have just designed an all aluminum mill 1200*600*150 which I will but on the forum shortly.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by BananaBoat View Post
    dhenry

you can grab them from here
    http://b16a.gotdns.com/downloads/Joe...l_2006_R-2.zip

I sure hope you can convert these in Solidworks!

many thanks

The link I provided it to a zip file, within it it contains various versions of the drawings, from Solidowrks, ProE to sketchup and DWG files.

Talking My Problem

It was my problem. Wrong folder.

How do want the result presented?

It will be easy to convert them to solid works.

I also can create tool paths for use with MACH 3

Doug
    The link I provided it to a zip file, within it it contains various versions of the drawings, from Solidowrks, ProE to sketchup and DWG files.

It was my problem. Wrong folder.

How do want the result presented?

It will be easy to convert them to solid works.

I also can create tool paths for use with MACH 3

Doug
    Doug
    Personally, i'd love to have updated solidowrks files as well as Mach3 tool paths, as thats the combination I plan to use when my machine is built.

As for Rod (rocket) i expect he would like them as either dxf or vCarve toolpaths.

Thats probably a lot of work, so please let me know if I can help at all. My solidowrks knowledge is not fantastic, but I can probably work out some of the more trivial stuff to free you up to do other more complex things.

Much appreciate the help!

Decision time

I have looked at the files. They are not perfect.
    I have looked at the main items;

As I said earlier I have just designed a mill with a working volume of 1200*600*150. The is mill designed to cut wood, ply, mdf, brass and aluminium. So my plan is completely in aluminium. This makes a good background to convert the drawings.

The machine as drawn is 46.5" * 24" * 6". This converts to 1162.5*600*150. In the X direction 12" or 300mm is used to park the gantry. So I will design on 1200*600*150 being the working volume.

What do you think?

Doug

I have looked at the files. They are not perfect.
    I have looked at the main items;

As I said earlier I have just designed a mill with a working volume of 1200*600*150. The is mill designed to cut wood, ply, mdf, brass and aluminium. So my plan is completely in aluminium. This makes a good background to convert the drawings.

The machine as drawn is 46.5" * 24" * 6". This converts to 1162.5*600*150. In the X direction 12" or 300mm is used to park the gantry. So I will design on 1200*600*150 being the working volume.

What do you think?

Doug
    Dont know about anyone else, but i'd love to see this thing do 1200*800*150

that possible?

Smile

Yes it is. What will happen is that I will draw it using our std sizes them adjust it to fit the workspace as 3d model.

If you can handle solid works 2007 files then I will email them to you for checking. It will be quicker if I draw it from scrach, I will advise you if I want you to draw some.

1 The pipe diam appears to be about 36mm. You need to identify a local pipe that is suitable, imperial pipe will be fine.

2 So far I have used 6mm and 12mm mdf.

Doug

Dont know about anyone else, but i'd love to see this thing do 1200*800*150

that possible?

Yes it is. What will happen is that I will draw it using our std sizes them adjust it to fit the workspace as 3d model.

If you can handle solid works 2007 files then I will email them to you for checking. It will be quicker if I draw it from scrach, I will advise you if I want you to draw some.

1 The pipe diam appears to be about 36mm. You need to identify a local pipe that is suitable, imperial pipe will be fine.

2 So far I have used 6mm and 12mm mdf.

Doug
    Doug,
    you're a saviour, remind me to send you a fat-o-gram as a token of my appreciation

I can handle solidoworks files, happy to check your drawings

Thanks
    Evan

Hello

I'm new here. Can you please post the drawings on here I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers.

Smile

I am working with another zone member to prepare the plans. Currently we have done a first draft. When this has been checked I will modify the drawings to allow a part 800mm wide.

We will not release drawings until they are complete. This could take to early next year due to other commitments.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by ohhmygod View Post
    Hello

I'm new here. Can you please post the drawings on here I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers.

Page 1 of 2 12