586,096 active members*
3,431 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Waterjet General Topics > Anyone in the UK building DIY plasma tables?

Anyone in the UK building DIY plasma tables?

I'm looking for links and info on CNC table building in the UK. Is it happening here or is just the guys in the US that are haveing all the fun ?
    Curently looking for reasonably priced linear v rails and v groove bearings.
    Any info from the UK on plasma table gear and control systems would be useful.
    Thanks Al

Hi Al, I'm also Al in the UK. I'm planning to start a table in about 3 months or so. I'll be putting my Hypertherm 1650 into it and building a table for sheet / plate up to 3 x 1.5 m.

I haven't started sourcing bits here yet, so post up if you find any sources.

Cheers, Al.

Great to know that the Uk has some interested parties.
    Do you know what you are going to base it on ?
    I am favouring:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...t=57192&page=7

Your location says you are in France ?

Regards

Al

Hi, sorry for the delay, yes I was in France - too many forums to update my details on I guess (too lazy). back in Hampshire now, where are you?

I'm still cruising through other builds picking out things I like. I know a guy in Minneapolis running a 1650 on a CNC, so I'll probably be pestering him for info until he starts ignoring my emails.

I haven't started sourcing parts yet, but these guys could be useful if you don't know about them: http://www.hpcgears.com/

I'm still mid way through about 5 other projects, including a powerhammer for my forge, so I won't be starting for a few months.

Cheers, Al.

Hi

I'm near Lichfield up in the midlands.

Have included a pic (drawing) of the start of my table approx 4 x 4. Running on V rails with timing belts and steppers.

any thoughts on the control gear, mach 3 etc?

i would really like to add a forth axis so I can cut tube, wonder if thats possible?

Just for info :

I have a small manufacturing company making steering wheels for race karts.
    www.calibaperformance.co.uk and also parts for HGV's www.truckbars.co.uk.

We have some cnc equipment such as a lathe and a big mandrell tube bender which does 2 1/2" stainless. Manual Bridgeport knee mill, and some other bits and pieces. We also do some polyurethane moulding. Quite capable for a small outfit.

Cheers Al
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails plasma.jpg  

Hi,
    I am in Nottingham and sill in the research stage, I have decided on Mach3 software but stuck between two designs for the table, thinking 4ft x 4ft or 4ft x 8ft. Also looking at using leadscrew rarther than rack and pinion (Costs). I have purchsed my plasma cutter (eBay) and hopeing to finish my home build compressor by mid august

Cheers Ian

hi all,

im currently out of the uk but i built a machine there last winter, here are a few of my experiences and where i got my parts from:

Motors and drives:

Motion Control Products, very good service, very cheap good quality stuff, got some 12Nm steppers for cheaper than any where i could find in the usa even before shipping. Drives are same headline price as geckos but no shipping / vat to pay so work out cheaper and have very similar specs

V groove;

I was quoted some outrageous prices by hepco motion for the genuine bishop wisecarver stuff, like 70 pounds / meter so i bought the imitation stuff from the usa, was cheaper, but had to be cut into 34 inch lengths, the shipping was expensive and then i got clobbered with vat and an additional handling charge by the courier. Shortly after the hepco rep calls me up and says could he sell me anything and i said no, after some discussion i found he could slash the prices quoted to me making it comparable to the usa stuff, so if i did it again i would call him first.

Linear rails:

I got some short lengths used from ebay in taiwan or somewhere for pennies but anything longer than 2 feet or so is really expensive to ship so not worthwhile

Software:

Mach 3 and sheetcam of course

Aluminium profiles:

I got them from a company in the midlands, i dont recall the name and they were excellent also just as cheap as any of the usa stuff i found

Drivetrain:

I got belts and pulleys and bearings from an online company called the bearing boys, i think the stuff could have been cheaper if i got it from a bearing house but they had a good site and a great selection of stuff so it worked for me.

Hope ive helped!

Matt, thanks for info. Really useful, just need to find a friendly Hepco rep.

any update on uk suppliers

Hi-

I'm taking steps in my build of a 10 x 5 plasma/ router-

looking for suppliers of linear bearings, rack, cable chain, cnc control/ steppers- but tempted by the candcnc kit- unless anyone has experience of anything uk based?

any handy suppliers gratefully received-!!

George

Hi George - fancy seeing you here!

Me too - just about to start mine.

there were issues with shipping the CandCNC kit to the UK - something about lead in the components I think, I never did understand it exactly. I have emailed Tom at CandCNC to check if this is still a problem. No response so far, but I'll post back here if I hear anything.

Other than that:
    Welcome to World of CNC | Marchant Dice Ltd
    DIY CNC electronic kit & mechanical products
    Home Page

I found a couple of UK based forums (fora?) but there is no real content in them.

Cheers, Al.

I'm pretty sure they do ship to the uk- i was e-mailing him a while ago, looking to get a dragon cut kit-

thinking about it, i know he does coz I'm fairly sure swift cut uses his kit-! then charge you 15k.....

thanks for the links

hows it all going in Hampshire- nice and busy?

it does all seem to be dominated by the USA based companies-

as far as i can tell, you could obviously buy the bits and build you own, but its things like the DTHC card and ease that's swaying me toward the Candcnc stuff-!

wonder if theres any mileage in him sending over a bunch of kits and dispatching them from me-! might see if he's keen.

G

I think one issue is that the smaller kits kind of slide in under the radar, but the larger stuff tends to get scrutinised. I guess a whole shipment would be doomed to a thick coat of looking-at.

But I'm all for it in principle.

Not news yet - not sure if he is busy or away or something - he's always seemed very on-the-ball before.

I agree - it'd be good to get something with a critical mass of users, that doesn't require too much electronicky farting around.

Yeah, all good here thanks - crazy busy at the moment, hope its going well for you up there.

Cheers, Al.

homemade plasma

hi ! i have been reading your posts ,and have found it help full,i also am thinking of making a cnc plasma using the dragon kit from candcnc, but was wandering if anyone knows how mush roughly it could be inc taxes etc? delivered to northern ireland , i have checked the link to motion control ,very usefull but a complete kit would be better!

thanks