586,043 active members*
3,782 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: 92 Haas vf1

92 Haas vf1

I just purchased a 92 vf1 to do some hobby machining in my garage. I got a saftronics pc10 phase converter that was used that ran a milltronics partner mill before had no problems. Wired everything up phase converter works saying its putting out 230v to the machine. Checked the wires in the machine and all 3 leads show 220v. When i go hit the power up button on the control nothing happens. When i have the box open with the power on i notice two lights on by three fuses. The circuit board with the lights say over power fuses.? I didnt get a manual with the machine so i have nothing to reference to.

I don't have any Haas machines of that vintage so this may not apply.

At the bottom of the cabinet there are transformer taps on my machines and you have to connect jumper wires to the correct voltage range. Does yours have these and are they connected correctly?
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Correct power?

Quote Originally Posted by sak610 View Post
    I just purchased a 92 vf1 to do some hobby machining in my garage. I got a saftronics pc10 phase converter that was used that ran a milltronics partner mill before had no problems. Wired everything up phase converter works saying its putting out 230v to the machine. Checked the wires in the machine and all 3 leads show 220v. When i go hit the power up button on the control nothing happens. When i have the box open with the power on i notice two lights on by three fuses. The circuit board with the lights say over power fuses.?
    Sak,
    The 3rd fuse is probably blown. All 3 lights should be on. You may need to change the taps on the transformer to match the incoming voltage? Just a quick thought.
    Just a good ol' boy, never meanin' no harm.
    Joe

joBwan

Thanks for the reply. I read on the circuit board were the three lights are and it says when the light is on it indicates a blown fuse. The two fuses were blown and the third with the light not on is ok. Ill check the transformer taps.

Thanks SAK610

SAK610,
    I sent you a PM.
    Ralph

Checked the taps on the transformer there set for 230v. Did another check with the a digital meter and at l1 l2 l3 are geting 248v coming in with the phase converter set at 60hrz. So i turned down the hrz to 55 and was getting 229v at each and still blow the two fuses. Talked to a tech and said there mite be a wire that came loose from shipping of the t5 or t4 transformer could be bad? The machine ran before i got it. So if any one else has any other idea.

Thanks

The first thing to remember is that power is power. So when you reduce voltage to a resistive load you increase the current that the load absorbs. Fuses are rated for current capacity.

I wonder what type of source you have. The 248 Vac sounds like what you would see on a Delta source measuring the 2 leg to ground. I dont know about Haas but most 3 phase equipment require a Wye source.

With a Delta connection the machine should be wired so the middle leg has the highest voltage, legs 1 and 3 can be swapped if there is a direction of rotation problem. Some machines like my Hardinge which has a coollant pump tried to make the pump run in reverse if the order of the phase connections are reversed.

Open wires do not blow fuses. If you suspect the transformer the best way to check it is with a Megger. Electric motor repair people use these to check their windings and insulation.

So If you have a Wye source all three phases measured to ground will be equal wire the machine so phase one leads phase two by 120 degrees which I do with a 2 channel oscilloscope. I believe there are meters available to do this.

If you have one phase higher than the other two you have a Delta source. Connect the highest leg to L2 and phase 3 leads phase 1 by 120 degrees.

Best of luck

Still having problems blowing fuses. Has anyone used a saftronics pc10 phase converter 7.5 to power there equipment?

Quote Originally Posted by sak610 View Post
    Still having problems blowing fuses. Has anyone used a saftronics pc10 phase converter 7.5 to power there equipment?
    Sorry, Cant help on this one. Good luck!!
    Just a good ol' boy, never meanin' no harm.
    Joe

I am not familiar with your phase convertor but if is not a rotary or a new digitial phase convertor (phaseperfect) I have alway understood that solidstate PC would not drive a CNC.

Also the phase convertor should be twice the main motor, ie a 20HP phase Convertor for a 10hp motor. Your 1992 VF1 should have a 7 1/2hp rated at 10hp motor if I remember right, my 1992 VF-0 has a 5hp rated at 7 1/2 hp for short bursts of power.

I run mine on a 20 hp rotorary. I also isolate each machine to it's own convertor after frying a Fanuc control trying to run both a cnc lathe and a hass mill on one 30 hp convertor. I do run a punch press off the same PC that is running the Mill but that motor is very stable in it's opertation once it is started. I usually start that motor if I am going to run that machine before I start the haas and just let it run. Shutting it down is not a problem but restarting it is as it throws the phasing of on the Haas. Not a problem really if you are not cutting at the time but wil give you errors and crashes if you are.

The rotary phase convertors really don't use that much power when they are running. Also make sure your rotary is balanced for a CNC machine with no more than a 5% fluxuation in power. This means that the PC will include a switch box with capacitors and balancing switching in it. They do make noice and heat so plan for that. I have them in a leanto out side the shop with the compressor.

Lowell