586,379 active members*
3,761 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 11 123

Les paul digitising thread

I have conversed with forum members on numerous occassions and it seems as though forum members are willing to contribute to having a guitrar scanned and possible some parts as well.

The cost may be between 400-500 USD so who is interested??

Good Work SLPD!!!

Guys, here is our chance, to get a VERY accurate Les-Paul model, right out of a 3D laser scanner....

No more struggling with modeling software, and "arguing" as to what plans are right, which are wrong etc....

This is reverse engineering at its best, and I say we take advantage of this offer...

DEFINITELY VERY interested, and will contribute to this, but we need a few more folks to get the ball rolling and get the cost down...

Who else is in?
    ------------------
    http://www.cncguitar.com

You can build a scanner for pennies that works well. What I plan on doing once I finish my cnc machine. Google it, you'll see. Don't waste money on that.

I wish you luck in your effort....

when you have a scanner that works, and you can get an accurate guitar scan of a Les-Paul top, why don't you post it here, so that we can all share, and we can all be enlightened by the pennies you spent to build it!

For the rest, who know what it takes to get this done, still looking for contributors, who want this done accurately and professionally...

thanks all....
    ------------------

Sorry, it wasn't intended to be demeaning.

I have been asked to provide a few photo images to show I have some parts so here are a few.

This first picture is of an historic pickup ring for references purposes

can you guys see the plastic piece which is not found in the original ring below??

Here is a side shot of a vintage pickup ring at the top and the modern flat one below it.

Heres a shot of a other parts I have a 1967 bridge at the top,1962 and a 1957 below that. a p-90 cover and 2 vintage thumb wheels.

And another pic

Corrie heres a pic of the route of my guitar i found it on my camera.

Good job, would you have any pics of the scanned guitar itself , meaning the body or neck?So we may be able to see the 3d image from the scan,cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by corrie View Post
    Good job, would you have any pics of the scanned guitar itself , meaning the body or neck?So we may be able to see the 3d image from the scan,cheers.

I don't understand the question as the thread is about having a Les Paul scanned are you asking for just more pics of the les paul???????

Sorry for the confusion,I was assuming that the guitar itself was being digitized, IE body neck etcetera and models being developed from them into useable files for cnc routing,cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by corrie View Post
    Sorry for the confusion,I was assuming that the guitar itself was being digitized, IE body neck etcetera and models being developed from them into useable files for cnc routing,cheers.
    Corrie

you asked me for the amount it would cost to digitise a guitar and i informed you of the cost are you in or not as another form member is willing to contribute to the fund so far??????

And on a side note for people reading this thread the total cost of the parts above is more than a les paul reissue.

Quote Originally Posted by slpd View Post
    I have conversed with forum members on numerous occassions and it seems as though forum members are willing to contribute to having a guitrar scanned and possible some parts as well.

The cost may be between 400-500 USD so who is interested??
    Is this an estimate of the total cost of doing this scan work, or is it a 'per contributor' estimate based on the number of forum members who have expressed interest in helping pay for the work? Could you clarify this?

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Hello All,

This is the TOTAL cost...(as far as I know).

So really, if enough of us decide to do this, it would really not cost that much, as we would spread this across several people.

I think this is VERY doable, so please, if having a very accurate model that you keep forever sounds good, let's get the ball rolling!

:banana:
    ------------------

Quote Originally Posted by CarveOne View Post
    Is this an estimate of the total cost of doing this scan work, or is it a 'per contributor' estimate based on the number of forum members who have expressed interest in helping pay for the work? Could you clarify this?

CarveOne
    The cost is the total for scanning the carved top as the rate is charged hourly and they costed me for the morning.

However the scann itself does not take long it is setting up and getting the guitar flat or moving the laser to the correct angle is what takes the time.

Also if you guys decided to go ahead would you like the file / files on dvd or hosting for you to download??????

ok so if ten members want the scan whats the cost / is the total divided by how many people want it,or does everyone pay the full total,sorry if i seem confused. How does one pay? paypal?money order?cheque/visa,thanks.

Smile

I am on board ,just want to know what my share of the cost is and how to pay,cheers agian.

Quote Originally Posted by CyborgCNC View Post
    Hello All,

This is the TOTAL cost...(as far as I know).

So really, if enough of us decide to do this, it would really not cost that much, as we would spread this across several people.

I think this is VERY doable, so please, if having a very accurate model that you keep forever sounds good, let's get the ball rolling!

:banana:
    That was what I was assuming/hoping for. I'm interested, but just can't pay $400-$500 no matter what I get for it. I wanted clarification before I commit to it.

Unless the file(s) are really huge, I would prefer downloading it but a DVD is ok also.

CarveOne
    CarveOne

Quote Originally Posted by CarveOne View Post
    That was what I was assuming/hoping for. I'm interested, but just can't pay $400-$500 no matter what I get for it. I wanted clarification before I commit to it.

Unless the file(s) are really huge, I would prefer downloading it but a DVD is ok also.

CarveOne
    I can clarify that the total is 400-500 which can be divided up between forum members .

Currently I am working on a way to prevent metallic hardware from causing errors when digitising.

Quote Originally Posted by slpd View Post
    I can clarify that the total is 400-500 which can be divided up between forum members .
    Ok, that's fine, and what I thought it would be. Now, lets hope that there will be more than just a very few of us.

CarveOne
    CarveOne

It is never easy is it???

Guys, look, SLPD has the parts, has the guitar, has the services needed to get this done....nothing more, nothing less.

This is what this thread is about....can't we all just agree JUST THIS ONCE, get a few folks to contribute, and get a killer and very accurate model, we will have for the rest of our lives?

Please, let's stop the bickering, and get our heads (and funds) together, to get this done.

No hijacking the thread with nonsense....

If enough people contribute, the cost to each one will be trivial, for what you are getting!

I propose a Paypal account, and we keep track (by posting here) the contributions, and the amount, as soon as it is made.

This way, EVERYONE can see what was contributed, and by whom.

When we reach the goal, SLPD scans it, and distributes to the contributors....it is that easy....

I also propose that we can get a rough estimate of the people interested, this way, someone does not wind up contributing say 50 bucks, and someone else contributes one dollar, and gets the model....

Come on now.....let's get this thing going!

:cheers:
    ------------------

Quote Originally Posted by CyborgCNC View Post
    It is never easy is it???

Guys, look, SLPD has the parts, has the guitar, has the services needed to get this done....nothing more, nothing less.

This is what this thread is about....can't we all just agree JUST THIS ONCE, get a few folks to contribute, and get a killer and very accurate model, we will have for the rest of our lives?

Please, let's stop the bickering, and get our heads (and funds) together, to get this done.

No hijacking the thread with nonsense....

If enough people contribute, the cost to each one will be trivial, for what you are getting!

I propose a Paypal account, and we keep track (by posting here) the contributions, and the amount, as soon as it is made.

This way, EVERYONE can see what was contributed, and by whom.

When we reach the goal, SLPD scans it, and distributes to the contributors....it is that easy....

I also propose that we can get a rough estimate of the people interested, this way, someone does not wind up contributing say 50 bucks, and someone else contributes one dollar, and gets the model....

Come on now.....let's get this thing going!

:cheers:

I think your ideas is a good one.

The reason for posting the thread is to see how many people are interested.

If forum members would prefer the file / files on a dvd all you have to do is send me your address and I will despatch it recorded delivery.

Page 1 of 11 123