586,077 active members*
3,686 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

laser wont go on or off with the computer

Any tips? Im wondering if something went bad in my CNC Parellel interface? Its an AXXUS DB1 v2.0

After some searching I see this is a very old board, and axxus isnt even around anymore. Im really struggling and appreciate any help I can get to figure this out. The cut program runs, everything works, but the laser, I can manually make it go on the power supply, but it wont go off or on otherwise.

Thanks

Picture

Does the machine have any safety interlocks that would prevent the laser being enabled? I would check those first.

If not, then check the laser input signal (one of the aux outputs on your interface board) and see if it is functioning. I'm not familiar with that particular board but it is usually just an opto connected directly to the parallel port signal. If the opto is dead you could probably use a different aux output and change the software configuration.

Zax.

Ill see what I can figure out, I didnt build this setup, and the guy I got it from is a flake, so Im kind of lost. Ill be learning alot here shortly I guess. haha.

Thank you

I was also wondering if there is another board that may be better, but still a drop in?

It looks like you have Gecko drivers (which are excellent) and a breakout board for the I/O.

The problem sounds minor and could be due to a failure on the breakout board or simply a wiring issue.

When you say the laser can be fired manually, is that using a switch on this control box or directly on the laser PSU or machine?

Put a meter across the outputs (14 & 17) and toggle them to see if they are functioning.

There's some information here http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=119131 that might help.

Zax.

Thanks, I just found that through some searching, the bad is that the setup worked the way it is, now it doesnt. So Im assuming something has failed in that axxus board? I have no idea what some of that stuff is/does (the yellow boxes, and the little black box on the other side), but the motors all work and it follows the cut program fine, just doesnt light off the laser.

Yes, on the laser power supply box I can fire it and make it cut, but it wont follow the on/off of the program.

Say that axxus board is shot, what is a direct replacement youd reccoment?

Also, the laser control is on the aux output 17 with some little diodes? (not sure what they are)..

Couple more pics

The 'yellow boxes' look like relays, but they are connected to the inputs which is a little strange - probably just for isolation. Those 'black boxes' on the other side appear to be bridge rectifiers, or possibly SSR's. It's difficult to tell from the pics and I am having a hard time tracing the wires.

If the board is the problem it should be easy to repair. If you want to replace the board, any parallel port breakout board designed for stepper motor drivers will work eg. http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/index.php?cPath=33

The switch marked 'laser' has an LED to indicate if it is enabled or not, does that operate as usual?

You said output 17 is for the laser and has a diode in-line, it actually looks like a resistor. I would check the output and ohm out the resistor (if it is actually a resistor... hard to be sure).

Zax.

I wish someone close to me was on this board! I dont know what item to get.

Quote Originally Posted by zx10aviator View Post
    I wish someone close to me was on this board! I dont know what item to get.
    Have you determined where the fault IS, buying a new breakout board and installing it may not help.

It could be an interlock switch, wiring, SSR or the input to the laser board. You need to do some fault diagnosis first or you'll just waste time and money.

The first step is to isolate the breakout board, begin by measuring the output 17 to see if it toggles with software. If it does, the board is ok. If not, disconnect the wiring from the terminals and test again - if it is still not responding the problem is either with the software, your parallel port or output 17 on the breakout board.

Where does output 14 go? You may be able to use that to control the laser instead.

Zax.

14 goes to the air solenoid, which honestly I could do manually, and put the laser control there. But I dont know anything about the programming either Im also going to call the laser power supply people and see how to check that thing out.

So, the air solenoid is working ok?

What software are you using?

Do you have a volt meter to measure across the terminals, if so, check across the +/- of 14 while switching the air on/off (so you can see what should happen) and then do the same across +/- of 17 when the laser should be switching.

Zax.

I will do that after work today.

Yep, air works fine, everything works fine except the laser wont run with the program.

Deskcnc I think is the program, or desknc

Ok did more playing around with it..

When the laser is 'on' according to the computer the terminal 17 has no voltage, when the laser is 'off' it says 12ish.. Odd, but either way doesnt do anything on the power supply/laser tube

On terminal 14 off is 0volts, on is 12v.

It makes no sense to me, but there are two of those things on the negative on 17,
    The large one is tan body with a gold, red, brown and yellow rings.

Small one has orange, orange, red, gold rings.

Yeah, that is odd but does sound like the breakout board is working.

The large resistor (yellow, brown, red, gold) is 4.1kohm and the smaller one (orange, orange, red, gold) is 3.3kohm, both are 5% tolerance. I am guessing one is in line with the LED indicator lamp (the 3.3kohm most likely) and the other perhaps to limit current to the next component.

These are probably ok but worth checking. With the power OFF, put the meter on resistance and measure across them (may be necessary to disconnect one side).

What is the next component in line, and can you see what they are?

Zax.

The lights are not hooked to it, Ill get a better pic of the resisters today, it goes straight from there to the laser power supply.

Here is a full size pic of that area, but some wires are in the way.

CLICK FOR PICTURE

OK, now I can see that output 14 goes to the solid state relay and switches the solenoid. The wiring from output 17 is obscured but if it goes directly to the laser control box it is looking more like the input there is the issue.

Do you know what voltage the control (input) signal is to enable the laser?

It should be easy to confirm, measure to see if the voltage is correct at the input.

You are getting closer.

Zax.

Still have not heard back from the power supply (emissions tech) place.

What would a drop in board to replace this be? Anyone have any of these axxus boards for sale?

Have you confirmed the signal is actually getting to the laser controller (PSU)?

It looks like the wires go via the switch, have you checked that is working?

You should be able to replace the laser PSU with any generic one designed for the same tube specs. I would need more details of your machine/setup to offer an alternative.

Zax.

Yep, last night I checked from controller circuit board to power supply circuit board and signal is getting from one to another.

I do wonder if it could be in the laser power supply, but not sure how to check that yet, waiting on them to return my call.