586,103 active members*
3,224 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Lathes > Open and close while running HL-2 chuck??

Open and close while running HL-2 chuck??

I have a job to run where the time to spool up, and then stop the spindle exceeds the entire rest of the cycle.

Is it possible to open, and close the chuck with it spinning?

I realize this sounds scary, but I think under certain circumstances, it could be safe, and advantageous......

Can the controller do this, and, more significantly, will the closer be damaged if it is operated while spinning?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by acrodave View Post
    I have a job to run where the time to spool up, and then stop the spindle exceeds the entire rest of the cycle.

Is it possible to open, and close the chuck with it spinning?

I realize this sounds scary, but I think under certain circumstances, it could be safe, and advantageous......

Can the controller do this, and, more significantly, will the closer be damaged if it is operated while spinning?

Dave
    No, the control will not allow this. This just sounds very scary to me. Read the warnings in your owners manual, things like workpiece entaglement, and or workpiece discharge come to mind. If spindle speeds are high enough even the guards won't save you.

Does your HL2 have the air operated chuck? Opened by air pressure closed by springs.

Or does it have the hydraulic chuck?

You cannot open the air operated chuck while spinning but you can open the hydraulic chuck. There is a Parameter for MAX SPEED CHUCK OPEN or some name like that. I don't have access to my manuals at the moment so I cannot look it up.

We have a few machines that have barfeeders that operate with the spindle running.

However, you are not planning on manual loading with the chuck spinning are you????? That is really unwise.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I am surprised that in this day and age you have to wait significant time for spindle wind up and decel? What time are we talking, from what rpm?
    Modern dynamic braking should take care of it, maybe there is a spindle parameter that can be adjusted to improve it?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Haas is well known for the terrible acc/decel times. At IMTS last year they had the new ST-30, and it took a good 10 count to get the spindle up to 3500 rpm. (10" chuck) My 1996 Yang lathe spins up in half that time (also a 10" chuck). This is one of the areas that Haas still falls on it's face. While it's hard to beat Haas mills for the price, I don't feel their lathes have caught up to where they could (should) be.
    On all equipment there are 2 levers...
    Lever "A", and Lever F'in "B"

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    ..... maybe there is a spindle parameter that can be adjusted to improve it?
    Al.
    There is a Parameter that sets the maximum acceleration load and the machines come out of the factory with it set at 195%. It is possible you could bump it up but then if you were doing a short cycle part you would probably overheat the drive.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.