586,121 active members*
3,592 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > What are these wires and why are they coming from my steppers?

What are these wires and why are they coming from my steppers?

I received an Emco PC Mill 125 that needed to be broken down into pieces to fit in my basement. To "break" the mill up into 3 pieces I need to chop the 146 wires, and splice in connectors as removing them from the electronics cabinet would have been a nightmare.

Anyways, I just chopped and stripped the wires and all 3 Nema 34 stepper motors have 1 of 9 wires that is a clear, fiberous "wire" coming from them, what is this?

Also, there are 3 sets of wires that contain a brown, rubber band looking "wire", I will hunt down where these 3 run to and from but how to I "re-hook up" these funky things :P? Thanks guys!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2.jpg   1.jpg  
    Rockcliff PE/Aluminum Router > 4'x8' CNC Router/Plasma > Manual DRO/CNC X2 > 4 Axis Syil SX3 and an Emco PC Mill 125

follow them to the end where they hook up in the contorol and take a picture

Quote Originally Posted by idtkid View Post
    I received an Emco PC Mill 125 that needed to be broken down into pieces to fit in my basement. To "break" the mill up into 3 pieces I need to chop the 146 wires, and splice in connectors as removing them from the electronics cabinet would have been a nightmare.

Anyways, I just chopped and stripped the wires and all 3 Nema 34 stepper motors have 1 of 9 wires that is a clear, fiberous "wire" coming from them, what is this?

Also, there are 3 sets of wires that contain a brown, rubber band looking "wire", I will hunt down where these 3 run to and from but how to I "re-hook up" these funky things :P? Thanks guys!

lunchtime bump
    Rockcliff PE/Aluminum Router > 4'x8' CNC Router/Plasma > Manual DRO/CNC X2 > 4 Axis Syil SX3 and an Emco PC Mill 125

From the looks of it that appears to be a fibre optic cable, I don't know anything about your machine but that is what the cable looks like to me. It may have been used to eliminate interference between controllers or something, just guessing here...but that white stuff really looks like the kevlar wrap used to protect fibre within cable.

Is there any small cable mixed in with the little hair like ones, there will be at least one pair if it is a fibre, and they could be tiny, generally two different colours as well. Be careful not to prod the end with your finger just in case, the theory is that a broken glass fibre is small enough to get in your bloodstream and well I think you can guess the rest, better safe than sorry.

As diycnc mentioned you really need to show where the cable terminates to make a better judgement.

Cheers.

Russell.

Russell..thanks for concern on safety...
    http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/ http://my-woodcarving.blogspot.com/
    http://my-diysolarwind.blogspot.com/