586,080 active members*
3,680 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > How to Select overlaping geometry

How to Select overlaping geometry

Hey Guys, need some help here. so I imported a DXF. well i've also drawn some geometry over the existing DXF geometry. when i try to select the right geometry it keeps selecting the other geometry. is there a toggle button to switch between geometry? if so how? Thanks!!

-Nate

Which version are you running?

Version 23. Also for some reason i setup the Stock Mat'l and it works fine. then all of the sudden the stock mat'l isn't where it should be when the part is verifying. I re-select the geometry and everything but the stock material is in a different spot so i can't tell if the verification is correct. any thoughts on that?

I keep having all these random little issues that make it very frustrating to run this software. everything will be going fine and then all of the sudden i'll hit a snag i can seem to figure out. Just like this verifying thing. everything was going ok, and then i did some tool pathing, went to verify again and the mat'l stock was not where it was verifying. Frustrating.

If you want to draw over existing geometry, use layers to keep things seperate. Having entities start to stack up can become problematic.

Lower left corner, Layer manager, right click, add new layer. THe red check means its the active layer. So import geometry, make new layer and make it active, trace geometry. Now hide either or.

Hard to pick up on what may be happening with the stock from the brief description. Can you post a file?? If you have defined geometry as stock, then move that around too, it must also be reselected before you re-compute toolpath. Both Geometry and stock geometry must be reselected before computing toolpath or the system will use the last selected placement.

sounds great, i'll try the different layers and see if that helps. Thanks for the advice!!

(you guys type too fast...here's my .02)

Yep,
    It can be frustrating...but it does get a little easier as you use it and develop your own routines that work.

Selection issue:
    There is no way I know of to prioritize selection of overlaying entities, unless they are different colors or linetypes so you can use the Selection Mask feature.
    Sometimes you need to just start Blanking the top items (I like moving them to a blanked layer).
    Window selecting all and then chain selecting to unselect a path is also useful.
    As you get things sorted, use layers and colors to segregate.

I routinely put an imported drawing on it's own layer, then switch to another layer to draw in.

Verify issue:
    The only time I've had the stock not be in the right location is when I redefined the UCS location. I haven't investigated this too much, maybe someone else can provide some insight.

moldmker

thanks moldmker, that's what i'm trying now is to make everything on different layers. yeah that's what i was thinking too, the more i use it and get used to it the easier it'll get. the problem is i have a big job that needs done ASAP so trying to learn while being under pressure is never fun. I'll see what i can figure out. Thank you guys so much for your help, hopefully i can get these parts done and just start "playing" with the software to get to know it.