586,080 active members*
3,485 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Dolphin CAD/CAM > Passing Geometry back and forth between Cad and Cam

Passing Geometry back and forth between Cad and Cam

I've been able to get up to speed with importing dxf's into partmaster cad, creating an origin, contours and hole patterns then passing to cam to create toolpaths.

i'm trying to figure out a way to update the cam contours without starting an entirely new cam file. i.e. i have imported contours and a hole pattern into cam then 3/4 of the way through creating tool paths i realize i need to edit a contour, or add one, or change/add a hole pattern. is there some way to update the geometry in cam without starting over?

the 2 things i've tried are using the cam geometry editor and cut/pasting operations. the cam geometry editor is the most painful program i have ever used. cutting and pasting operations form the old cam file to the new one is flakey, sometimes it works, sometimes the operation will reset back to defaults like depth of cut, approach, etc.

also, one level up. i create everything in solidworks, then output a dxf. is there a way to import a new version/udpate a dxf into partmaster cad without creating all new contours, hole patterns, etc?

thanks
    Mike

I have uploaded a movie showing how to go about this.

Unfortunately there is no way to maintain the link to Solidworks

ATB
    Andre

Oops ! I suppose I should tell you where the movie is - senior moment.

www.dolphin-online.net

Goto the miscellaneous page.

ATB
    Andre

Thanks Andre. That really helped me out and I'm sure it did others as well. It seems it never fails that I would get almost through on the cam side and realise I left out something important. I usually just started over but this should really save some time. Thanks again.

Andre,

thank you, that movie was very helpful. i also pick up about 5 little details you are doing in addition to what i was asking about every time i watch a movie.

Mike