586,069 active members*
3,554 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > machining tensile test specimen

machining tensile test specimen

I need to machine a test specimen for a tensile test machine. The dimensions are given in the attached file. What would be the best machining method? One has to use a round insert because left-hand, right-hand as well as neutral tool with diamond-shaped insert will all cause interference at the shoulder which has an arc at 90 degree. Do I have to machine the left shoulder (say, from half the length to the left shoulder) using right-hand tool, right shoulder using left-hand tool, leaving some allowance, to be followed by neutral tool with round insert, for finishing? Or can everything be done by the neutral tool with a round insert? If yes, what can be maximum depth of cut with the round insert of diameter 6 mm, if the workpiece is mild steel? I have an intuitive feeling that a round insert is not meant for heavy cuts (say, 1-2 mm), specially when it plunges into the workpiece, before straight turning starts. Am I correct?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tensile test specimen.jpg