586,089 active members*
3,845 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Fadal 4020HT arcing

Fadal 4020HT arcing

This 4020ht was reported to have an arc occurring on one of the servo amp cards ( GA4568E-1 ). Visual inspection with door open and power up revealed what appeared to be a Lilliputian arc welding (flame2).

:stickpoke Power down, removed card and visually inspected for obvious problems (broken leads, exploded caps) none found. Arc was between the (+) and (-) solder traces. These traces are on opposite sides of the card but on the same end.

There was a very thin film of oil and dirt (actually very fine particles of metal from the machining process) present. A portion of the solder trace had been burnt off by this arcing. Cleaned the edge of the card and reinstalled. Power up, axis errors.

Incidentally the control compartment doors were opened to help cool the machine. When and by whom has not been ascertained.

The operator now explains that the x-axis had been bumping and thumping prior to this arcing but would eventually start (nuts).

After reading some of the posts here~ I began checking for blown fuses, tripped breakers, bad cooling fans etc. Found a blown fuse and non-working cooling fan in the freqoul compartment replaced the damaged parts and restarted.

Now the y-axis would move (in one direction only) nothing on the x and z-axis just amp errors.

Still working from information found on this forum I began swapping cards. I could get one directional movement from these swaps where ever the y-axis card was placed.

So replacements are in order, will update on progress.:violin:

//

I may have a couple extra amp-0021 cards these are ga4568e-1
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.