586,075 active members*
3,691 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Adding 4th axis to 4020HT

Adding 4th axis to 4020HT

Hello... I just bought this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=140325083837

I would like to add it to my 4020HT which is prewired for 4th axis...it has the 88HS control.

It says it has a fadal motor, and air brake...

My question is do the Fadal units have additional M codes or outputs for actuating a separate solenoid for an air brake?

Anxious to try this thing out....started making some parts successfully and hopefully this will add a lot of flexibility.

MBX5
    Yes the Fadal has M codes built in for the brake on a rotary table. They are M60 to turn on and M61 to turn off. Most all Fadals are prewired for 4th.axis but this only means they have the wiring installed in the panel and to the connector in the right upper back of the enclosure. You must open the main control panel on the side of the column and verify that the axis board and amplifier are present. In this case there will be four amplifiers mounted midway down from the top and toward the right and an axis board in the card cage more toward the end similal to three others more near the middle of the cage.
    The cable connector must be compatible with the one mentioned earlier.
    I would suggest you call Neal at Fadal and get more information before you try to use the table because you need to be sure if you indeed have the necessary electronics that the table's motor is compatible. You certainly don't want to blow the board. They are expensive to replace.
    Good luck.

Thanks for the info on that... Yea I checked the machine today and it needs the servo pack and probably axis board...yippe...just wired for 4th axis...my bad for not researching that first... So I am now in the market for the amp and aux axis card...I will wait for the motor to show up so I get the correct amp...

We have some boards for sale $2400. The main issue with adding a 4th to a machine that has only the wiring is the nice cost of the axis amp (dont use a amp-0034 or amp-0015 too weak) and the axis controller card and the eeproms. I think the eeproms are the most expensive part. The last I saw them they were $2500 a set of two. We have $8K into our boards and we use the larger amp-0021 tuned down so you wont burn out the axis amp.

Some years I think 97-99 came prewired with the axis amp and controller and the air brake. If you are going to be holding the part at the end in a vise you will need an air brake and a shut off selenoid...there is another $800 right there. If you odnt have the shut off selenoid your motor will fight your air brake and will burn out. If your in motion alot and/or do lighter milling you dont even need an air brake. Its amazing what it takes when you dont have all the parts. The table is just the beginning.
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

carbidecrafters - thanks for the info!! I think I was talking to you on eBay about a setup you were selling....

Yea I am finding out the expense with these things... We are a robotics integrator (Fanuc, ABB) and have a lot of used robots in stock - the CNC machines seem to be the same as far as adding aux equipment. I wish I would have gone with a Fanuc system - I have so many Fanuc motors, aux axis boards, servo packs, etc - and we are very familiar with Fanuc equipment.... It all seems to be the same principal however - aux axis drive card, servo pack, etc...

I will look into the solenoid for the air brake... I have a sh$t ton pneumatic solenoid valves in 24vdc, 110vac, etc laying around so that shouldnt be an issue...

Thanks again for the help!!!

Hi;
    I can give you a good deal on a Axis Amp, 1010-4 axis controler card, and a trow for free
    the air selenoid .
    [email protected]