586,499 active members*
2,703 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Material Technology > Glass, Plastic and Stone > Possible to 'frost' (diffuse) clear acrylic with a rock tumbler?

Possible to 'frost' (diffuse) clear acrylic with a rock tumbler?

I'd to be able change totally clear transparent acrylic so that its outer skin is 'frosted' ...this is so light from LEDs inside the acrylic is diffused.

I'm only talking small parts (a couple of inches)...do you think a rock tumbler grit/sand combination might work?

How about sandblasting or applying frosted mylar.

Quote Originally Posted by lsalme View Post
    How about sandblasting or applying frosted mylar.
    +1 here...seems quicker cheaper and simpler.
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by HankMcSpank View Post
    I'd to be able change totally clear transparent acrylic so that its outer skin is 'frosted' ...this is so light from LEDs inside the acrylic is diffused.

I'm only talking small parts (a couple of inches)...do you think a rock tumbler grit/sand combination might work?
    How about a chemical solution? Something you could wipe on, then wipe off?

:cheers:Ted
    If you are going to be a Bear... then be a Grizzly!

Your best route is probably to use a stock frosted sheet from the Perspex or Plexiglas range. Most UK suppliers have frost in the racks ready to go.

Plexiglas do a stock clear which is frosted on one side only- most other frost sheets have a frost finish on both sides.

If you want to make your own frost effect you have two options. Firstly you can cover clear acrylic in standard frosted vinyl (as used by the sign trade). Second, you can shot blast clear acrylic to create a frost effect. This works quite well but takes practice to get an even frost effect.

As for LED illumination...... frosted acrylic works quite well but for a diffused light effect an Opal White acrylic might be a better option. Opal 050 is the standard grade used on most large illuminated signs. You can also buy other grades; 030, 070 etc.

The Opal numbers refer to light transmission- i.e 050 lets 50% of the light through the acrylic sheet whilst 030 only lets through 30%

Check these samples...

600 grit sandpaper? Acetone? Just a couple of quick ideas. But the tumbler idea might work - but would get all surfaces, including the edges.

Had a minute - I had to do a quick check to verify.

Plain acrylic (unknown specifics--a scrap).

Left side (2 x2 squares) milky appearence from acetone. Looked difficult to control the finish and density of the frosting. Fairly smooth finish, however.

Right side (2x2) squares 240 grit sandpapper. Easy to control amount of frost -- but finish will pick up grit and dirt through time. Could do on inside to prevent that.

Center is paint thinner - -- sorry no laquer thinner to try.

Cheers - Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ACRYLIC FROSTING.jpg  
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.