586,080 active members*
3,563 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Breakdown of 12 pos turret needed

1990 qt15N turret issue. Seems to be the splined shaft is hanging up on the hydraulic tool turret. It doesnt kick back the last .250" and leaves the tool high by a couple hundred thou. Anyone have an exploded diagram for a qt15 with the 12 position turret? I cant find one online
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

Sounds like the coupling that connects the turret to the splined shaft has slipped. It is one of those 2-piece couplings with several bolts around the face, and only holds by friction when the two halves of the coupling are tightened together.
    You access this coupling, and the big clamping nut, by removing the black center plate on the face of the turret.

By loosening the little coupling bolts, you should be able to rotate the turret while the shaft is stationary. You have to loosen the big nut that holds the turret/coupling to the shaft to adjust the coupling. While unclamped, physically bump the turret until it lines back up and clamps properly, then tighten the coupling bolts. You should tighten the big nut a little before trial clamping the turret. Of course when you have the coupling adjusted, tighten the big nut damn good.

After aligning the shaft and turret via the coupling, if you still have problems, it could be the turret encoder going bad. This is located inside the turret box, accessed by removing the big plate on the tailstock side of the box.

Good luck, and I may have to pick your brain someday on my new-to-me Fadal 3016.

Greg