586,100 active members*
3,187 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 7 of 9 56789
    WSS,

I like the layout and pictures on your website. Simple and to the point. Nice work! Sounds like you have the Dynatorch dialed in and ready for anything that comes in the door. On the shape cutting page you mentioned a water table? I did'nt know you had completed yours. Post some pics!

Magma-joe

Quote Originally Posted by magma-joe View Post
    WSS,

I like the layout and pictures on your website. Simple and to the point. Nice work! Sounds like you have the Dynatorch dialed in and ready for anything that comes in the door. On the shape cutting page you mentioned a water table? I did'nt know you had completed yours. Post some pics!

Magma-joe
    magma-joe,
    No, I have not finished it yet. I was asked to get any info I thought was important to the web guy. I have a month to get it together. Nothing like a little prodding to get the project in gear!

Supposedly a tool within the admin site will let me make changes. One will be a larger flash size on the projects page. It was bigger but we changed it because the pics did not show entirely. Now we will go back and make the pics fit instead of the other way around. It should be customizable before long. I have all the material for the table bent and ready to weld, man there is a bunch of welding to do! I think I will buy a roll of .028 wire due to the 12ga thinness. It will be three inches below the slats and even with the top, so i probably wont be able to submerge, but just hit the bottom.

I'll post as I go along.

How is your new machine working?

Cheers!
    WSS

Hi WSS

I second what Magma-Joe said, it looks real good... easy to navigate and reminded me that i have to do some work on my own site.

Happy Easter to all
    EDD

WSS, the new machine has been working well. I am very happy with it.

Magma-joe

DynaTorch retro-fit to CandCnc's Plazpak servo system

We have began a retro-fit of our machine over the last two weeks and have started with completing the water table insert. It went well today and should be operational Monday evening. The plumbing is done. Just need to make a splash guard and finish up the slat curver portion. I had lots of help today, one over and one under LOL.

We have a CandCnc PlazPak-4 servo system on order with Torchead. We should have it in a week or two. We are going to add lots of features and hope to get some "pre-building" done before the system shows up. I purchased a K2 Z slide and it looks well built. The new servos are a nema34 as opposed to the nema23 currently on the machine, so I have some adapters for it and will need to make some room around the mounts. 80/20 has what we need and that should be in soon I hope.

WSS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN6658.JPG   DSCN6660.JPG   DSCN6662.JPG   DSCN6663.JPG  

DSCN6667.JPG   DSCN6670.JPG   DSCN6673.JPG   DSCN6675.JPG  

DSCN6678.JPG   DSCN6679.JPG   DSCN6682.JPG  
    www.metaltechus.com

too large for my usage but holy cow that is 1 very nice table!!! i hope that my build can come close to this quality

Looks great! I have to ask though....what's left of the Dynatorch stuff? Seems like just the gantry, the linear guides/bearings/slides/whatever they use, and the basic table structure?
    Carl

WSS, like your table, your water tray and tank are first class. I am sure you are ready to get back to cutting as soon as possible. It is to bad the problem with your motors could not be solved. I also did not realize Dynatorch had recently switched to Panasonic brand servos. They must be an improvement over the animatics as I see the cost went up with the change.

Keep the pics coming of your build, I still need a water table with a bladder and am curious to hear of your experiences.

I will post this link for pinion stock again in case you missed it. You can't beat the price and being able to make the hole size and hub diameter whatever you want is a big plus. If I remember correctly it is about $35.00 for a 12" piece.
    Steel Spur Gear - Grob, Inc.

Magma-joe

Water Table poses big health benefit!

Thanks guys for the nice comments.

gurew, if you go with the idea of "never", it works good and you can always improve it as you go. It is NEVER done LOL!

I lean, The table we built ourselves so not much will be left. The bearings and gantry is about it. At some point I will need to upgrade the cam follower slave side to be a bit more accurate. It works fine now but the new system will have loads more torque.

magma-joe, Thanks for the link. I hunted it down on your build thread and contacted them, they have what I need but I no longer have ready access to my lathe, it is semi retired and would take a bunch of work to get power to it again. A friend of ours works for a Thompson industrial supply and is going to make them for us reasonably enough. I am going with a spur to give us a top speed of 800ipm which is plenty fast for us.

The water table is working great. It fills in 30 seconds and empties in about a minute. I say empties but it never actually drains completely. The bladder holds fewer gallons than the tray but that is OK. First, space was limited but second, the oxy torch does a number on the bottom of a dry tray. It warped the old tray to bits. This tray is 2" shallower too, so I will need the buffer for sure. The curved slats make a huge difference with plate stability, no more wiggling. I opted not to curve the first four slats as we often use those for jigs and I did not want to have to re-adjust the curve every time we needed to cut in that section. Virtually no smoke, a little steam but that is all. The room is more humid but the overhead fan keeps the air moving. A splash guard was necessary to keep the water off the rails. It is on a magnetic break away set-up in case of a bump or hit.

More pics of the Z install later.

WSS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN6696.JPG   DSCN6712.JPG   DSCN6714.JPG   DSCN6715.JPG  

DSCN6717.JPG   DSCN6718.JPG   DSCN6727.JPG   DSCN6730.JPG  

www.metaltechus.com

Floating Z and Mick's snap 'n cut

Got the Z all set up. It is a K2 floating head with 6" of travel. I mounted it to some .5" X 1" 80/20 rack and that has an additional 4" of travel if needed to cut tall or thick stuff. I talked possum plasma (Mick, a swell guy) into letting me try a plasma cam DHC2 breakaway and fit it up to the K2 floater. It went well and it is has two things going for it: brilliant and simple. It will work great. Strong and very repeatable. If it crashes, simply put it back on, no fuss. It naturally "goes home".

Our new system will utilize a remote monitor that will be wall mounted. I picked up a enclosure from automation direct (I have used many advertisers here on the zone with really good luck) and cut out the front and back to hold filters/fans and a piece of lexan/polycarbonate to protect the 27" monitor. It will be mounted by a VESA mount to the wall.

WSS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photo795.jpg   Photo798.jpg   Photo799.jpg   Photo800.jpg  

Photo801.jpg   Photo802.jpg   Photo803.jpg  
    www.metaltechus.com

Table side clean up

Well, we managed to get quite a bit done this long weekend! The monitor is up and running, looks great from across the room. Also managed to get the master side of the table wall covered and painted, this really cleaned up the look of things. I used two 4x8 sheets of plywood and painted it the closest color I could match to "plasma dust stained wood", it was called coco van or some odd color. Started on the relay box that will control the air dryer, overhead fans and two other 110vac items to be picked later. Probably the oxy console or preheat solenoids.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photo810.jpg   Photo811.jpg   Photo804.jpg   Photo805.jpg  

Photo806.jpg   Photo808.jpg   DSCN6839.JPG   DSCN6840.JPG  

Photo812.jpg  
    www.metaltechus.com

Looks like you are making great progress
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by millman52 View Post
    Looks like you are making great progress
    Neil, just sent you an email.

How do you get your posts to the cut computer? Is it via bluetooth or a wireless network? I am working on a NEMA 4X enclosure (plastic) to house the computer and MP-3000 console. Being plastic, I am hoping that it will have good wireless capabilities. It has a a clear front panel so I can see the console and status lights.

WSS
    www.metaltechus.com

I'm hard wired via ethernet cable. I have Sheetcam set to automatically import code to Mach the instant it is generated.

You Have Email.

Quote Originally Posted by WSS View Post
    Got the Z all set up. It is a K2 floating head with 6" of travel. I mounted it to some .5" X 1" 80/20 rack and that has an additional 4" of travel if needed to cut tall or thick stuff. I talked possum plasma (Mick, a swell guy) into letting me try a plasma cam DHC2 breakaway and fit it up to the K2 floater. It went well and it is has two things going for it: brilliant and simple. It will work great. Strong and very repeatable. If it crashes, simply put it back on, no fuss. It naturally "goes home".

Our new system will utilize a remote monitor that will be wall mounted. I picked up a enclosure from automation direct (I have used many advertisers here on the zone with really good luck) and cut out the front and back to hold filters/fans and a piece of lexan/polycarbonate to protect the 27" monitor. It will be mounted by a VESA mount to the wall.

WSS
    WSS, Your water bladder looks like it works great! After reading one of Jim Colts posts on another forum about cutting aluminum on a water table using a bladder I decided it might not be safe for me since I cut so much aluminum. He said draining the aluminum particles into the bladder would allow the hydrogen gas to accumulate inside the enclosed bladder. A potential "boom"

I am confused by the floating head design you are refering to? Are you not going to use a THC system? Apparently you are not going to reuse the Dynatorch torch slide?

Magma-joe

Magma-joe,

The bladder we are using has a 3/4" valve on top of it to vent out air to drop the water back into it (I probably should have put a 1" valve to speed the drop). The air is changed every time it is raised and lowered, so I think it probably is safe for hydrogen build up. Are the aluminum particles the culprit or is it the cutting vapor?

The floating head triggers a switch when it touches the surface. It floats about 1/4" before the switch is triggered. Once it is triggered the Z rises the amount of float plus your arc start height, then goes through the pierce sequence. The K2 has a light touch which will be helpful with "un-clean" slats LOL. We might go four or five sheets before they get a good scraping, so plates tends to get wobbly. I really like the Snap 'n Cut breakaway, I think it will be a nice feature.

Yesterday I did 6 hours of oxy cutting on the water table, cuts were slower but cleaner. The sound was way different too. I dropped the water to 3" under the plate and had virtually no slag. Sometimes you will get a lot of slag when you get back to the pierce area because of the extra heat, the water solved that.

WSS
    www.metaltechus.com

Got a little bit more done this weekend. This is the housing for the computer and the MP-3000. It has filtered fans and filtered exhaust to handle cooling. This has a clear cover so we can see the lights on the console.

WSS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photo814.jpg   Photo815.jpg   Photo816.jpg  
    www.metaltechus.com

PlazPak-4 arrived

About 200lbs of gear showed up today from CandCnc! I have only had time to open and take a quick look so far. The motors are huge. The slave side mount will have to be milled to make room for the 12" of motor and gearbox.

WSS
    www.metaltechus.com

Smile

Mate, that Snap 'n Cut looks like it was built to fit the DynaTorch.
    Glad it worked out for you....if I can help in any way in the future just give me a holler.....

----------------------
    www.snapncut.com

Tommy, Are you up & running with the new system?

Page 7 of 9 56789