586,096 active members*
3,724 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 8 of 9 6789
    Quote Originally Posted by millman52 View Post
    Tommy, Are you up & running with the new system?
    Neil,
    Not yet. Getting close though. I am finishing up the limits and homes. I saw a post of yours somewhere showing sealed roller limit switches and decided to copy especially since water is close to them. I picked up four of them from automation direct that are really "configurable" for both NC and NO and different rotations and directions. The Y axis I will use the supplied limits.

Do you think the Z needs a top limit? It has the float switch but no upper limit. Tom says his system will shut down instantly when a overload is detected. It really can't run away but am wondering if it would be a good idea.

Once the home/limits are done, it will be down to the motor mounts. I have everything sitting on the bench to do them but no time.

I am just finishing up a casing for the new PN-200 pendant. Terry (over on the support forum) posted a drawing to hold it, I modified it to protect the ipm and volt knobs from accidental bumping and then coated it with a can of rubberized spray. It should be protected enough now. It will have a gap around it so you can make the mistake of setting it on something hot and survive! The computer came from CandCnc all set up with Mach3 and the right screens so it will be a snap when all said and done. I will be able to control the overhead fans, air dryer, pH solenoids and motor tension cylinders via CandCnc's quad relay card, that will be cool, now it is even more of a spectator sport.

Tommy
    www.metaltechus.com

Tommy,

I've been following some of your posts over on CandCNC's help board.

I bought my honeywell switches from McMaster. They have been flawless so far. & you're right you can use them in just about any configuration & just about anywhere. Near as I can tell they are spot on with repeatability too.

I really couldn't advise you on an upper limit for the Z. If Tom doesn't think it's necessary Then I probably wouldn't. It's just something else to carry the weight & yet another place to create a possible problen.

In fact if it were me I'd probably do away with the air cylinders on the pinion gears & go with springs. All that air plumbing with nylon & vinyl is just many more places to cause a potential problem. I guess if they are there then use them I know that the very first time one of them dropped out on me & cause maintenance I'd fall back on the KISS principal.

Hope to see it running soon

Neil.
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

I came to the conclusion that it would be simpler (like you said KISS principal) to use just two limits on the X and two homes of course and the torch touch off switch for a total of five, that eliminates two swithes AND potential problems. Thanks, I was over thinking it. The air cylinders are pretty flawless. They have the advantage of being able to move the gantry around freely, I can park at load position at night and roll it by hand to home before starting in the morning after loading plate. I have not had to replace a cylinder yet, so they may go the route of springs if they are big bucks.

Tommy

Edit: Should be a total of six, forgot to add in the Y home switch!
    www.metaltechus.com

Staying on Schedule...

We are working hard to stay on schedule and be running by December 1st. So far so good. I managed to get the Y axis mount plate done.

I think I found the main reason we are losing motors. Over working those tiny nema23 motors. The new PlazPak system uses nema34 motors and gearboxes, which on paper do not seem much larger but lay them next to each other and the size difference is clear. The new system will also have a larger pinion giving a lower top end and more torque on the bottom. It will top out at 680ipm, so it will still do 250ipm easily if needed (i have never needed over 150ipm so far). I have the custom pinions ready and even got a spare just incase.

WSS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photo845.jpg   Photo846.jpg  
    www.metaltechus.com

The photos do help in showing us know how much heavier as system you are installing.

X master and slave mounts

Got the actual mounts done for all the axis' now. The tough one was/is the slave side, the new mount is tight with an 1/8" clearance each side. The tough part is yet to come, the new motor when attached reaches up into the steel 3" tube behind the aluminum drop bracket. I was hoping it would short enough to just mill out the drop bracket and go but I will have to cut into the steel tube a bit, about 2" each way. I will put a 2-1/2" x 1/4" angle iron on the uncut side to replace some of the structure/mass that will be lost in the fitting. In the second picture, next to the orange fiber optic cable are three black pen marks, roughly the area needed for the new motor. This is only a small setback really and (so far) the only real hick-up. I was not surprised by it but had hoped cutting the tube would not be needed.

The master side went on without any mods. Even the air cylinder clevis mount was OK were it was.

Getting closer everyday!

WSS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photo851.jpg   Photo852.jpg  
    www.metaltechus.com

Glad to see you are moving along......

I've had a couple glitches with my table the last couple weeks. Pc began shutting down. Was as simple as installing a CPU cooling fan but still a PITA with work piled up to do.

I thought I had a back up PC ready to Plug-N Play but that didn't pan out either. When I hooked it up the DRO's headed off to the races with a mind of their own. In the process of working the bugs out of the backup PC.

I'm in the design process of an entirely new table 5 X 12. It will probably take me several months to pull off the build. & I really have lots of other things I'd rather do. But to put it as simple as I can. There just isn't an affordable ready made table out there that even comes close to what I want/need.

Second generation always works better. So, you had this back-up PC that you hoped to rely on in time of need and.......Murphy got you.:cheers:

What kind of drives are you going to use on the new table? I will have right at 8K when all said and done with this PlazPak4+. It looks robust for sure. I did go w/gearboxes due to the high rpms of the servos which added to the cost $$, but it should have excellent motion. I also went with a 27" monitor and an enclosure so we could see it from across the room, that added a bit too.

I am hoping this new PN-200 pendant works well, it will take that "windows pc" feel away and be more user friendly.

Are you going to set-up for plaz and oxy on the new one? Another hi/lo?

I just milled out the aluminum drop bracket on the DT this afternoon, now to cut the tube, a good project for after Church tomorrow.

Tommy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photo855.jpg  
    www.metaltechus.com

For what I do here I'll be useing a 5 axis stepper system. Probably have it customised a bit. I'm not really going to change my basic design much just tweek a few things. I'm going to attempt to mount my rails & rack gears to a machined strip to get away from any sort of spring loading of the pinions. I was able to pull it off with my current gantry & simply set the pinion to 0.00 lash, lock it down, it stays & doesn't wear.

I'm sure the pinion wears just a bit initially, till it gets a bit of lash then pretty much remains wear free after that. The spring loading is ok & a pair of 3/8" wide 3/4" dia. pinions have lasted over 3 years. They are just now to the point that the tips of the pinions are sort of "pole vaulting" across the root of the rack causing distinctive kerf lines about 1/4" apart.

Just detail stuff mainly. Unless I change my mind I'm not going to use the first piece of profiled linear rail.

Keep up the good work......

Few other "I can fix that" small issues.

I like the idea of 0 backlash. My machine is not true enough for that. One of our carbide machines has a "no pre-load" pinion and rack. Last time I checked the hour meter it had done over 10 million inches of powered travel on the same pinion, another 10 million (at least) of free rolling with the pinion engaged. About a year ago the clutch went out and I realigned the pinion while I was there and realized I probably should of left it alone. It seems to have accelerated the wear some, like you mentioned the pole vaulting, it does not take off as quick. it has to take up that slack.

On your new build, will you use the 5th axis for dual torches?

Here is some progress pics from today. Get the limits screwed down and then the major tear down starts, had hoped to do it over Thanksgiving but have some family coming in so may have to postpone a weekend or so. Have to have it back together tonight as I have 2k parts to cut Monday and Tuesday. I am getting ancy as I am way into the motor failure zone now. They were lasting 180-200hrs and I am up to 300hrs now.

WSS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photo856.jpg   Photo857.jpg   Photo858.jpg   Photo859.jpg  

Photo860.jpg   Photo861.jpg  
    www.metaltechus.com

My Y axis has no spring loading The rack is true enough to the linear bearing I didn't have to.... I'd guess there has been as much wear on the pinion from surface rust caused by moisture in the air as opposed to actual friction/grit. I have never had to adjust for wear. It's been done form having to change out that stinking linear rail a couple times, so it gets set back tight again when that happens. Just had to do that again last Friday.

The spring loaded pair on the X axis is a different story I have stretched the use of them beyond the machine cutting as goood as it is capable.

I took a good look at the Y pinion because I was ordering replacements for the X decided not to even order one for the Y.

Moving toward the light!

Had a chance to get some more done over the last week and have 2.5 days to get some more done. The limits are mounted but have not been wired yet. I decided to mount five switches on the command center to control a variety of non-CNC controlled stuff. I made up a water slide decal to fit the new panel, I love these things, they work great and are bright and colorful, easy to see (Thanks Neil!). Originally I was going to use CandCnc's quad relay card for this but sometimes this stuff needs to run when Mach is not. I will still use a few of the outputs on the quad relay but need to get this thing up and running before another motor pops. Lost another motor a couple of weeks ago. Got lucky(ish) on this one as it was on the recall list, not the one that blew but another I had on hand that was dead from awhile back, just happened to mention the serial number of it to a tech guy I had not spoke to before. Had to pay shipping (almost as much as a new motor on our new system) but had a shiny new one next day.

Tommy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photo874.jpg   Photo881.jpg   Photo882.jpg  
    www.metaltechus.com

Motion!

Managed to get the motors hooked up and turning properly with the right pulses. Used the PN-200 to jog motors and control other features. Looks like a go now. Just the time to shut the machine down and harness everything. Maybe this next weekend.

Got a we-cim notice in this morning about a new V.20! Looking forward to the new version. That will be my next hurdle, getting it in and working with mach3.

The big screen mode with the new pendant is really useful, you can see it across the shop easily, even with my failing eyes.

WSS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photo883.jpg   Photo884.jpg   Photo885.jpg   Photo886.jpg  

Photo887.jpg  
    www.metaltechus.com

Looks like you are about to get it wrapped up....

Ya, I may try to do it during the week as opposed to a weekend. I have a four day job in right now that keeps getting pushed back. I am Going to finish up some small details tomorrow and if this job gets stalled another day, I will probably start the tear down. I have to clear some details first regarding software but it should take two days to get back up and running. Then that four day job will magically turn into a 8 day job due to my fumbling around with a new system LOL.

Went back this morning before disconnecting the new servos and did some "re-checking" of the numbers on the motor tuning config screen and found I was way out again. Is this math that difficult? Boy, I finally got the Z perfect but haven't a clue on the X & Y as they were not actually on the rack. The Z was easy(er) due to the 10tpi leadscrew and the fact I could put a steel rule next to it.

When you get ready to do your next table, get a PN-200. Very friendly to use. Welding gloves a no go but thin gloves work good. I have found with the water table that those rubber coated cotton gloves work good in the water but no feel. I am trying some of those popular ($$) mechanix gloves, I can run the mouse and keyboard with them and even answer the phone, so the pendant should work with them too.

WSS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photo888.jpg   Photo891.jpg  
    www.metaltechus.com

Retro fitting

Well I am a day and a half into the retro. The tear down was yesterday and the install started today afternoon. December is a tough month to get anything done. My wife wanted to go to Bass pro shops today to get our kid's picture taken with Santa when they opened. So I did not get back to the shop until almost 2pm. Rode the elevator eleven times, 10 bucks at the shooting gallery, two trips on the bear and deer merry go round and picture with Santa. I was hardly fit for work. Got a good pic with Santa though.

All the mechanical is done and mounted, about a quarter of the wiring/harnessing is done. Probably another two days at least. Under estimated yet again. I'll post some pics later.

Tommy
    www.metaltechus.com

Here are some pics of the current progress. Basically, the table is wired and harnessed. The X axis cable carrier is tight. It may have to have the heat resistant material removed if it does not loosen up a bit. I may use 3/16" fuel hose to save some room too on that section. The Y axis cable carrier was fine, it had quite a few less things running through it. The carriers have the heat material on both sides cut into 2.125" strips. The section were the cables transition between Y and X have a short run of 1.5" split loom to protect the cables and hoses. It should be much more protected now.

Everything feels solid with the pinions pressurized, no play at all. Still have lots to go with the wiring of stuff off the table.

WSS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN8415.JPG   DSCN8416.JPG   DSCN8417.JPG   DSCN8418.JPG  

DSCN8424.JPG   DSCN8422.JPG   Photo896.jpg   Photo897.jpg  

Photo898.jpg   Photo900.jpg   Photo901.jpg  
    www.metaltechus.com

Up and running!!

The project is pretty much complete know. I have done some test cuts with it from tap files generated from we-cim and they cut great.

A big thanks to Gary @ we-cim! He hooked up to our PC and had the new poster ready to roll in no time at all. When it was done he said to give it a try, well I was a bit timid at this point as I had not been able to cut anything sucsessfully to that point (that is another story, router files don't respond like a plasma file). I hit run and sparks flew, finished the cut and retracted and went to the next spot and repeated with zeal. I have played with it some more and found it to be really smooth and quick. I'll post some pics of the finished machine later this week.

WSS
    www.metaltechus.com

Glad to hear everything is working for you WSS. Let me know if I can be of any assitance to you.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by WSS View Post
    The project is pretty much complete know. I have done some test cuts with it from tap files generated from we-cim and they cut great.

A big thanks to Gary @ we-cim! He hooked up to our PC and had the new poster ready to roll in no time at all. When it was done he said to give it a try, well I was a bit timid at this point as I had not been able to cut anything sucsessfully to that point (that is another story, router files don't respond like a plasma file). I hit run and sparks flew, finished the cut and retracted and went to the next spot and repeated with zeal. I have played with it some more and found it to be really smooth and quick. I'll post some pics of the finished machine later this week.

WSS
    Tommy,

Well where is the updated progress!!!!! If you're like me it's been like trying to hang wallpaper with one arm tied behind your back.

Page 8 of 9 6789