586,217 active members*
3,486 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > New here. Please do not kill me

New here. Please do not kill me

Hi guys.

Completely new to CNC. Not new to machine work.

So new that I had to register here and confess that I have MAX NC 10 OL machine because I did not know better before purchase and since the situation can not changed I want to make the best of it. This is not for any kind of production work but for hobby. Will be working on copper mostly.

So any links for noob to get familiar with all of the terminology and stuff would be appriciated.

Thanks.

Welcome Aboard!

Quote Originally Posted by DMIINC View Post
    Hi guys.

Completely new to CNC. Not new to machine work.

So new that I had to register here and confess that I have MAX NC 10 OL machine because I did not know better before purchase and since the situation can not changed I want to make the best of it. This is not for any kind of production work but for hobby. Will be working on copper mostly.

So any links for noob to get familiar with all of the terminology and stuff would be appriciated.

Thanks.
    [Hi DMIINC; I started with one of those machines myself; there's no need to be ashamed. What were you planning to make out of copper? It's not the easiest material to cut, but it can be done. Are you cutting out 2d shapes, or did you want to make 3d carvings? What terminology were you having trouble with? You can probably find enough in the Links section of my site to get you started, anyway.]

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Machining copper? (I’m slightly off track)

There was an interesting show on KCTS9 Seattle Public Television a few days ago. An artist was commissioned to create a life size Bronze of “Patches the Clown”. Patches had a children’s television show in the 60’s up here in the Northwest. What was cool was the brief segment on how they digitized a miniature statue the artist created, developed unitized segments, and NC machined the foam to create Molds for the Bronze. The show was as informative as I am off the subject matter.

Thanks.

Well I am getting familiar with Max III/Mach 3 software. It does not look that bad. Building the PC this weekend just to handle the Mach3. I have made couple of designs in the Google SU and converted that into DXF files and loaded them up in trial version of VISUALMILL.

Bang, your dead. OOPs, you did NOT want me to do that, soory. LOL

As a suggestion, make sure you read the manual for Mach3. Very informative and will save a lot of time and questions when hooking up the machine.

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.