586,114 active members*
3,330 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Sieg X3 vs X4 for 304 stainless?

Sieg X3 vs X4 for 304 stainless?

Planning on a cnc conversion, but im not sure what can be milled on the X3.
    Have anybody tried to mill stainless or titanium on their X3 mill? Im not planning on just milling stainless, but I want the capacity to do work using tungsten carbide tools and low feeds.

Quote Originally Posted by slektning View Post
    Planning on a cnc conversion, but im not sure what can be milled on the X3.
    Have anybody tried to mill stainless or titanium on their X3 mill? Im not planning on just milling stainless, but I want the capacity to do work using tungsten carbide tools and low feeds.
    I don't know much about milling stainless and titanium but I'm sure a X3 someone did a good job converting can do whatever a X4 can do. I think with all the money you save buying an X3 instead of an X4 you can probably get really high end stuff to make your X3 better than an X4.

i can tell you from experience that 304 is "doable" but far from easy on a machine like the x3 or x4 ...well at least not on a syilx4 unless you want to kill it fast 303 was not as bad but it was still pretty hard on the overall machine and this is with feed rate of +/- 1.5 ipm as for other material such as aluminium, brass and soft to medium hardness steel was not as bad
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own. -Les opinions exprimé dans ce messages sont les mienne

The x4 im reffering to is the new standard sieg X4 non cnc
    Dont think its out yet, but im not sure.

What about a converted Sieg X3 with the aussie kit?
    Is the super x3 Worth the extra money when converting it?

i like the look of that. 8x20" travel, very beefy frame. 1hp motor, mt4 taper. has the net tapered gibs from the kx3. i wonder if this means a kx4 is on the way.

looked up some more and it seems to be siegs version of the RF45. very similar to the grizzly g0519, but not quite identical. the grizzly is $1700.

http://www.grizzly.com/images/pics/jpeg500/g/g0519.jpg

That explains it.

wow, that looks pretty cool. It looks like a 2/3 size RF45, rather then a souped-up mini-mill. They got rid of the awkward z-axis handcrank which had a poor mechanical advantage on the X3 and put the z-axis handle on the column where it is on the RF45. Now if they would just make a version with a built-in z-axis power feed like the Grizzly G0484...

You can see the specs now on siegind site (so it is not just an aussie thing):

http://www.siegind.com/product.php?id=4

That is going to make the confusion worse, since people are going to confuse the syil x4 with the sieg x4. And if sieg cnc'd it....

i dont know but for me a speed range that is limited to 1600 is no good, all small machine in my point of view should atleast do 5k to 6k
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own. -Les opinions exprimé dans ce messages sont les mienne

Quote Originally Posted by ataxy View Post
    i dont know but for me a speed range that is limited to 1600 is no good, all small machine in my point of view should atleast do 5k to 6k
    its not really that small a machine, but i agree. there are many rf45 varians with 3000+rpm spindles. it is somewhat cheaper than many of the other rf45's though at $1360us shipped from china (plus duties and tax).

ive actually kinda lost interest in it already and am drifting over to the weiss/opti WMD30LV type machines and "big" IH type rf45's.

Wouldnt it be easy to install a 3phase standard industrial motor of 1,5-2Kw and use a frequency converter on it to get higher revs? (Im an electrician and we got tons of that stuff where I work)

Has anybody tried the X4 yet, is it a good machine

Quote Originally Posted by mp409mm View Post
    Has anybody tried the X4 yet, is it a good machine
    the x4+ is the same as the x4 with more gadget so what you can read about the x4+ applyes to the x4

Thanks

mp409mm