586,065 active members*
4,327 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Smithy > Convert Smithy Granite 1324 MAX to CNC?

Convert Smithy Granite 1324 MAX to CNC?

Hey guys, I have a Granite 1324 MAX and I'm looking to convert it to CNC. I'm a bit overwhelmed by the info out there. Whats the best way to start?

Quote Originally Posted by rooster433 View Post
    Hey guys, I have a Granite 1324 MAX and I'm looking to convert it to CNC. I'm a bit overwhelmed by the info out there. Whats the best way to start?
    It depends on what you want to end up with. Since you already have the machine you are aware of the limits of the milling function. The fact that you are asking on this forum indicates that the CNC system offerred by Smithy is not what you want. If you want to end up with a full CNC machine to produce parts, you will need ball screws on all 3 axes. I don't know if they offer a ball screw for the mill. On X and Y you can install ball screws, but it will gut out your gear drive functions, eliminating any manual capabilities. If this doesn't bother you, you can end up with a pretty good CNC lathe. As far as milling goes, without a ball screw on the quill, the lash will be hard to control. Even if you put a ball screw drive on, you will still have the physical limitations of the existing mill function. If Lathe work is your primary goal, then the conversion will be practical. However if you are looking for a CNC mill function for the majority of your work, you would be better off looking at a dedicated mill like the 622 model or a Syil etc.

SMITHY 1324 CNC PACKAGE WITH BALLSCREWS X,Y & Z

HELLO
    I HAVE PUT BALL SCREWS ON ALL AXIS ON MY SMITHY AS WELL AS THE FLASHCUT CNC PACKAGE......I WAS THINKING OF TAKING THE CNC PACKAGE OFF . I HAVENT USED IT VERY MUCH AND HAVE OTHER IDEAS. IF YOU HAVE CHECKED ON THIS STUFF YOU HAVE FOUND OUT IT IS PRETTY EXPENSIVE....IT ALL WORKS ,BUT I WOULD PROBABLY UPGRADE THE SOFTWARE AND GO WITH IT....... MAYBE WE CAN TALK OF A SALE AND SAVE YOU SOME $$$$$$$$.
    THANKS BILLY

Quote Originally Posted by CNCTAIG2008 View Post
    HELLO
    I HAVE PUT BALL SCREWS ON ALL AXIS ON MY SMITHY AS WELL AS THE FLASHCUT CNC PACKAGE......I WAS THINKING OF TAKING THE CNC PACKAGE OFF . I HAVENT USED IT VERY MUCH AND HAVE OTHER IDEAS. IF YOU HAVE CHECKED ON THIS STUFF YOU HAVE FOUND OUT IT IS PRETTY EXPENSIVE....IT ALL WORKS ,BUT I WOULD PROBABLY UPGRADE THE SOFTWARE AND GO WITH IT....... MAYBE WE CAN TALK OF A SALE AND SAVE YOU SOME $$$$$$$$.
    THANKS BILLY
    Quit yelling, turn your caps off.

I converted a 1340 over to cnc with a homebuilt system using geckos and Mach3.
    It worked ok but not great for mill work.
    I also machined ball srews and converted the screws to ball screws.
    As a lathe not bad,as a mill not that good for anything more than plastic and aluminum.
    I have some pics on my website here:http://www.hitechhobbies.com/Machines.html
    Good luck with your conversion.
    I ended up buying a Bridgeport Series II cnc and an Emco lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by tpmx57 View Post
    I converted a 1340 over to cnc with a homebuilt system using geckos and Mach3.
    It worked ok but not great for mill work.
    I also machined ball srews and converted the screws to ball screws.
    As a lathe not bad,as a mill not that good for anything more than plastic and aluminum.
    You found out what we had decided during our research. The picture pretty much tells the story- limited travel in milling due to the closeness of the mill to the lathe spindle, excess height from table even at full down position and lack of support for the mill head. I would guess you have a lot of lash in the Z axis stepper drive going through that drill press mechanism as well.
    If a person just tossed the mill head away, you would have a pretty decent small lathe.

To be truthful it is just not worth it.
    I was able to machine alot of parts to build my cnc router using Mastercam and the Smithy but if I would of had my other machines then it would of been easier and faster.
    I was cutting aluminum so it wasn,t too bad.
    The mill head was a pain,if you set up on your zero point in x and y axis then found you wasn,t high enough for maybe the next tool you just could not raise the z axis up without loosing the location as the head swivels.
    If an endmill would grab for some reason or other the head would move.
    Your right about play in the z axis,I ended up running alot of backlash in the control just to get in the ballpark.
    It was ok for just drilling parts.
    You just had to accept it was what it was.
    If I could do it over again I would not buy the Smithy.
    I bought the Series II Bridgeport CNC and the Emco CNC lathe for about the same money I have in the Smithy and can do so much more with them.

Quote Originally Posted by tpmx57 View Post
    To be truthful it is just not worth it.

The mill head was a pain,if you set up on your zero point in x and y axis then found you wasn,t high enough for maybe the next tool you just could not raise the z axis up without loosing the location as the head swivels.
    If an endmill would grab for some reason or other the head would move.
    Your right about play in the z axis,I ended up running alot of backlash in the control just to get in the ballpark.
    It was ok for just drilling parts.
    You just had to accept it was what it was.
    If I could do it over again I would not buy the Smithy.
    I must admit I have been using your posts as a bit of a gloat over some of my colleagues. When we were researching machines for our school, one guy wanted to spend all the money on a single large machine. That was pretty much over ruled as we needed more machines available for hands on time. Smaller seperates were ruled out because it required double the number of CNC and DRO options to buy. We finally settled on 3 in 1 machines as the choice. Most of the guys were in favor of the Smithy , mostly because they do a lot of advertising and have a pretty slick brochure. However, I came across the Shopmaster while doing a google search of 3 in 1 machines. It was obvious right away that the Shopmaster had addressed all the issues you mention with their mill head design. Once we compared the specs and features, it was clear to all that the Shopmaster was the best designed 3 in 1.
    The tough part was convincing the bean counters to pay in advance. Shopmasters are usually sold out about 60 days in advance and they require full payment up front. I finally convinced them that a company that requires payment 60 days in advance and has been around for 30 years must have a reasonable product. Final decision was for the Shopmaster, and we have been satisfied with the performance.

Quote Originally Posted by instructor37 View Post
    I must admit I have been using your posts as a bit of a gloat over some of my colleagues. When we were researching machines for our school, one guy wanted to spend all the money on a single large machine. That was pretty much over ruled as we needed more machines available for hands on time. Smaller seperates were ruled out because it required double the number of CNC and DRO options to buy. We finally settled on 3 in 1 machines as the choice. Most of the guys were in favor of the Smithy , mostly because they do a lot of advertising and have a pretty slick brochure. However, I came across the Shopmaster while doing a google search of 3 in 1 machines. It was obvious right away that the Shopmaster had addressed all the issues you mention with their mill head design. Once we compared the specs and features, it was clear to all that the Shopmaster was the best designed 3 in 1.
    The tough part was convincing the bean counters to pay in advance. Shopmasters are usually sold out about 60 days in advance and they require full payment up front. I finally convinced them that a company that requires payment 60 days in advance and has been around for 30 years must have a reasonable product. Final decision was for the Shopmaster, and we have been satisfied with the performance.
    From the specs, it looks like the Granite is a similar design to my old 1993 Shoptask. It definitely takes some patience and planning to get any milling out of those type machines. my new Patriot is a whole generation different and 100 times better as a mill.