586,065 active members*
4,327 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Can Okuma vmc 4020 load program from diskette?
Page 1 of 2 12

Can Okuma vmc 4020 load program from diskette?

I was trying to transfer file to the machine but it went over the capacity limit which was 32kb.
    so I decided to try diskette to load .NC file but i got error msg: "312 disk uninitialized error"

can I load and run .NC files directly from diskette? if I can, what should I do to solve that error?

Quote Originally Posted by Taehk View Post
    I was trying to transfer file to the machine but it went over the capacity limit which was 32kb.
    so I decided to try diskette to load .NC file but i got error msg: "312 disk uninitialized error"
    If using a 3.1/2" floppy formatted to DOS is capable of being read from or written to, but you must use the MSDOS button in the control, filenaming for MSDOS is 8.3 structure and being DOS, you must be exact in your command line using source name, full file name, destination drive, etc

using the "PIP" "Copy", the disk must be Okuma formatted, but having it in that format it cannot be read by your PC

can I load and run .NC files directly from diskette?
    No

what should I do to solve that error?
    make the program smaller, use subs, delete spaces, remove sequence numbers for a start

I'm not sure if this works,
    is using a schedule program that calls/loads a program from the disk into bubble memory--- good for running segmented programs that when combined would not fit into the control

I think the error is the extension. You are trying to load an "NC" file when you need to be loading a .MIN file.

Robert

most likely the disc isn't formatted correctly. the ext. has to be .min not .nc
    and use msdos in the edit function then extend twice to input output on the left side this is easier than the pip function if you have it.

one more additional note: Okuma provides software for PC, which enables to manage properly OSP format diskettes on PC. This software works on Windows 2000 and Windows XP

Quote Originally Posted by Algirdas View Post
    one more additional note: Okuma provides software for PC, which enables to manage properly OSP format diskettes on PC. This software works on Windows 2000 and Windows XP
    Hey Al,
    you talking about ADMAC ?, as I haven't heard of anything else for running an Okuma format disk on a DOS PC, the only way is a MSdos format disk to go into the Okuma control

ADMAC is not cheap and it is only 2.1/2D, ( but it can handle 2D DXF files). I'd rather pick up old TM-APT III system for doing the most basic offline Okuma programming

ADMAC is CAD/CAM package, quite other story. Okuma provides software "PC to OSP" which creates additional Floppy drive on PC and this drive understands OSP format.

ADMAC is CAD/CAM package, quite other story. Okuma provides software "PC to OSP" which creates additional Floppy drive on PC and this drive understands OSP format.
    Do you have a link to this software?
    Sounds like it might be useful... but I thought the disk in an OSP machine was "different" to an Okuma FDD.

Superman, you can't call .min files with schedule program, the .min file must be all in the MD0 or MD1,you can't access FD0 in the .SDF file

PS i HATE ADMAC, it run on a mysql base and this kill your PC performance....

and it's far from a flexible CAD/CAM package, i prefer mastercam without any doubt

for reducing the seize for files, use the IF/GOTO function of OSP for dept of cut you will save easily 75% of memory space

a link to this software?
    ask local Okuma dealer. I don't remember now, how big is distributive, but anyway it must be 30MB at least. It's to big to send by e-mail.
    the disk in an OSP machine was "different" to an Okuma FDD
    hm ... what do You mean? What's the difference between "Okuma FDD" and "disk in an OSP"? do You mean internal memory storage for user files? MD1: BB1: ?

Quote Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
    Superman, you can't call .min files with schedule program, the .min file must be all in the MD0 or MD1,you can't access FD0 in the .SDF file

PS i HATE ADMAC, it run on a mysql base and this kill your PC performance....

and it's far from a flexible CAD/CAM package, i prefer mastercam without any doubt

for reducing the seize for files, use the IF/GOTO function of OSP for dept of cut you will save easily 75% of memory space
    Actually Goldorak, you CAN program select (PSELECT) a ".min" program from within a schedule program... the only provisor is that the programs are in the machines "normal" memory i.e. MD1: or BB1: etc... depending on your machines vintage.
    You are correct that you can NOT PSELECT a program that is not in main memory, i.e. FD0: etc...
    Regards
    Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    can I load and run .NC files directly from diskette?
    No

I'm not sure if this works,
    is using a schedule program that calls/loads a program from the disk into bubble memory--- good for running segmented programs that when combined would not fit into the control
    Re-read my post ---note the bold text

I have not yet tried using a schedule program to DElete a file in MD1: and COpy a file from floppy to MD1: and then PSELECT that file. There may be issues that the disk must be IGF format instead of DOS or MSCOPY (?) if a DOS disk. I have lot of doubt about all of this.
    But if someone wishes to have a play

Algirdas--- searched for this software--- the only thing that showed up was a program called DOSP software - not Okuma - some 3rd party dude and have got no real point of contact.
    Searched Okuma --- not a razzo --- with my years of contact, nothing in any form, so I doubt it ever exists. Probably why they have MSDOS in their controls

so I doubt it ever exists
    tell me the suitable ftp, I can upload in a couple of days. Other way - if You will wait for snail mail arriving - I can send a CD for You. Cheap, lets say ... ehm .... $20

Steve,

Ring the RED phone and ask ya local apps guy for

Ospfc.exe

OSP Format to Windows

Thanks Greg,
    I'll give the guys a ring on Monday

They'll probably get a call from "broby" as well

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    Thanks Greg,
    I'll give the guys a ring on Monday

They'll probably get a call from "broby" as well

Steve
    hahaha LMAO

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by broby View Post
    Actually Goldorak, you CAN program select (PSELECT) a ".min" program from within a schedule program... the only provisor is that the programs are in the machines "normal" memory i.e. MD1: or BB1: etc... depending on your machines vintage.
    You are correct that you can NOT PSELECT a program that is not in main memory, i.e. FD0: etc...
    Regards
    Brian.

oups ! i forgot a couple words

you should read "you can't call .min files with schedule program from the floppy

my bad, last week was a tough one......... :tired:

Thumbs up

a link to this software?
    ask local Okuma dealer. I don't remember now, how big is distributive, but anyway it must be 30MB at least. It's to big to send by e-mail.
    the disk in an OSP machine was "different" to an Okuma FDD
    hm ... what do You mean? What's the difference between "Okuma FDD" and "disk in an OSP"? do You mean internal memory storage for user files? MD1: BB1: ?
    Hey AL,
    Do not know where you are getting your information from re the OSPFC.exe program, but I have just spoken to an Applications Engineer from Okuma Australia and he tells me that not only is version 2 now available, but that it is a simple email to get it to me.
    The only thing is... this software only allows you to backup an Okuma formatted disk to a PC. You CAN NOT read the file on the PC.
    Might be useful to backup copies of an IGF program file but that is all.
    Sod all else it is good for.
    Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by broby View Post

The only thing is... this software only allows you to backup an Okuma formatted disk to a PC. You CAN NOT read the file on the PC.

Brian.
    Yes that is correct.

correct, people. Please, provide me Your regular snail mail addresses and I will ship to You CD's with Okuma format conversion software. You will pay only in the case, if it works for You. You will pay only blank CD and shipping expenses. No my interest.
    How it works?
    You get additional 3½" Floppy disk drive in Your Windows system. This drive fully understands OSP format: You can format, read and write. Good way to backup IGF files also.
    Where from I have this information? Okuma Europe offers this software for free to Okuma clients. We use it at work every day.
    If someone will provide ftp address, I can upload the installation folder.

Page 1 of 2 12