586,500 active members*
1,860 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Programming for HMC

hI

I been a CAM programmer on Vertical machining centre....

I was reluntant to know how CAM Programs are generated for Horizontal machining centre...I have never ever heard in my past about a CAM software for HMC...

Or is that so that the same programs ( made for VMC ) work for Horizontal machining centre...

at my shop we program the same but VMC we use A and on the HMC we use B for the 4th axis

atv

Thanks buddy......:idea:

Had a minor doubt.....how much time it takes to align the part on a HMC as compared to VMC....???

As in HMC the operator has to fight against alignment as well as the crane whcih will hold the part...

But in VMC U need to only fight against alignment...that's it...

Ash.

ours smaller HMC have 2 or more pallets so one is cutting the other is outside swapping parts and with a HMC there no chips and coolant bath to fight it goes down to the bottom of the machine not on top of the part like on a VMC. I do like the HMC better then i do a VMC most of the time there are a few parts we make that i can't use the HMC its all about fixtures and type of parts like if i have a plate say 12x12x.5 " that needs holes bored a VMC would be easier to setup if had a 6x4x5 block that need a deep pocket milled I like a HMC our bigger HMC are big we put up 15,000 lb chunks of steel on it

Question

Ok....

As u are used to both VMC & HMC, i guess u would be correct person to answer........

For eg..if you have a same part to be machined.....

What time u will require to setup on a hmc as comparision to VMC....the only factor is what i refer to is the setup time.........

As u have to fight against gravity ( or adjustment on crane ) as well as dial indicator :boxing: , as compared to VMC wherin u just need to fight with dial readings....

I don't refer any setting ( like on tombostone ), i refer to a setting with help of 2 dowel holes....

Ash

Re: Programming for HMC

if i had to pick one machine VMC or a HMC i would go HMC every time you still need to pick the size machine to match your parts on smaller parts you would use a tombstone with a vice mounted to its side other then that it would the same as a VMC

VMC you have more space to play with or checking a part for the R&D type work but for production you will never bet a HMC

but if your parts need to be rotated or cut at angles and is on the smaller size you may be better off with a VMC with a 4th axis or even a 5th without a print you will need to choose whats best for you