586,075 active members*
4,028 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mach3 won't keep zero!

So I notice that my machine won't keep its zero, so I write a program to confirm this. I leave it to g0 x0 y0 z0, g0 x1 y1 z1, and I let it run for an hour and it's still dead on from what I can see. The monitor had gone into power saving so I wiggle the mouse. The machine is still running, and it IMMEDIATELY loses it's zero and smashes the bit I have in the collet. It obviously lost a TON of steps on the up swing, meaning the zero point was now below the bed. What can I do to prevent this? Please please tell me there's a better solution than preventing the monitor from going into power saving.

EDIT: Okay after disabling ACPI, something entirely different is happening. After running the same program, the DROs JUMP like crazy and the steppers just lock up and pulse on and off and lock back up repeatedly. Obviously they should increment by tenths but they're just flashing different values. Something seriously strange is happening.

Question

Have you turned off the power saving features in the BIOS?
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Hmm, there doesn't seem to be anything like that in the BIOS. They may be hidden somewhere outside the bios though, it's an intel atom itx motherboard

Hi there,
    If running XP (could be similar in Vista), try turning off the screensaver function, better still, go to control panel and click on the "power options" icon , set the "turn off monitor" and system standby etc fields to never.
    Then disable hibernation too.
    Hope this helps.

Good luck, pls let us know if you find a fix .

Cheers.

Just a way out guess here, but it sounds like something might not be 100% right with your parallel port. A expansion parallel port is not expensive to test this. The parallel ports on the motherboard are subject to whims of the developers, often times making up what should be hardware parts, in software. Voltages and such can vary much more then they should. Even if it's not your problem, for $12 or so, it adds alot of additional functionality, like the aussie Z height setter. etc.

If you can find all the stuff that triggers the problems, and shut them off. You've made a patch, but that's not going to cure it.

Thanks for the help. I found the same thing.

Went to lunch and when I came back, screen saver was on, I started the program the machine proceeded to generate scrap!!

The "Z" zero went to "-.050.

I'll turn screen and power saver off and see what happens.

Dual processor computer?

If you are running a dual core processor it may be sharting the work and not doing it in the right chronological order. There is a way of telling a program to only run on one processor somewhere under the control panel - Ican't remember where. Help may find it for you.

Effin Microsoft

Quote Originally Posted by jimmearns View Post
    If you are running a dual core processor it may be sharting the work and not doing it in the right chronological order. There is a way of telling a program to only run on one processor somewhere under the control panel - Ican't remember where. Help may find it for you.
    I have the same Intel Atom MoBo. The Atom uses an odball Data bus. you "try" to set the proc affinity to 0 it won't stay put. In Task Manager right click on whatever you want to adjust and select affinity for P0 or P1. Just make sure you have every non-essential process shut off while logged in as ADMINISTRATOR, not as a general user with admin privileges. It's a MS hierarchy thing. The bios on my system doesn't allow me to shut off power saving. It's because the Atom is designed to be OS driven from the OS executive. So just neuter the crap out of your system services. I kept my network function on and it kept throwing wait states at Mach3. Shut the network services off as well and DISABLE the on-board NIC. If you need to transfer data use a memory key thumb drive doohicky. The ITX parallel port is PERFECT. I'm using an old Laplink cable through a breakout box. Just had to jumper the charge pump pin (15>16). Works excellent!
    It looks like we're finally gonna get ALL the government we paid for! Lucky us!

It's a single processor board, so no worries about ordering. Network card is disabled, all unnecessary services have been disabled. Still losing steps.

From the original post, it appears that the power management is the culprit. Did you turn off all the power management through the control panel?

I think on some machines, changing ACPI requires a re install of the OS.

I also don't recall seeing anyone using an Atom with Mach3 either, so not sure if it'll work correctly no matter what you do.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Yep, I've tried minimal power management and always on, and neither work.

I installed the RightMark CPU Clock utility on my Dell D800 laptop, running Mach3 with a SmoothStepper and the EasyCNC driver board on a 3-axis PhlatPrinter. If I intentionally disable the RM Utility program, I will almost immediately start getting missed steps and fault ERRORs as soon as the CPU changes state.
    It's cheap, it forces the CPU to stay in a level state, and it works for me.
    http://cpu.rightmark.org/products/rmclock.shtml

Okay I switched out the computer with something much simpler and am seeing the same thing. I can pretty easily reproduce loss of steps by switching to 0.001 jog and jogging left and right as quickly as possible. The mill will end up way off very quickly. This is with the stepper not hooked up to anything. What's going on here?

Mach3 won't keep zero!

Almost sounds more of a problem with your controller. Have you tried a new parallel cable?

Talking The Mighty Atom!

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    From the original post, it appears that the power management is the culprit. Did you turn off all the power management through the control panel?

I think on some machines, changing ACPI requires a re install of the OS.

I also don't recall seeing anyone using an Atom with Mach3 either, so not sure if it'll work correctly no matter what you do.
    Mine works fine. I just fiddled with the timing in Mach3 until it kept tossing the right code at the right time. I also have 2GB of DDR2 and NO PAGING FILE. Every time MS does housekeeping and updates the paging file it'll throw 36ms worth of Whiskey Tango Foxtrot(nuts). Disabling the paging file and the System Restore functions solved 99% of the problems I was having. A shot of scotch handled the rest. Disable the print spooler too!

I'm by no means a CNC expert but I have been servicing computers for 15 years. I have been using this web site as a reference to stripping down the OS for bare bones operation. This link is for XP he has one for 2000 as well.
    http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
    Give your PC as much memory as it will hold, 512MB may work but 2GB is much better. Memory is inexpensive these days!

mach 3 wont keep zero

my first try to help .could it be that your z axis set up is to heavy ? not enough torque on z axis motor ? new to cnc

Mach3 Z axis

Quote Originally Posted by b_positive View Post
    my first try to help .could it be that your z axis set up is to heavy ? not enough torque on z axis motor ? new to cnc
    I think ya nailed it!:wave: I have a shock absorber thingy I bought from CNC fusion. it dampens the up/down transitions on the Z axis. I built an air driven draw bar winder. added a couple of pounds to the head but I don't show a z axis loss of zero ever. It doesn't act like it's struggling at all. I'm not experiencing any problems at all with MACH3, other than occasionally losing it's mind during a tool change.