586,089 active members*
3,756 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

How to keep a computer clean inna workshop

I have a dust collector on my CNC, but with the sanding, cutting, general woodworking, dust is an inevitable demon in my workshop. How do I keep it out of the CNC computer? I am interested in how others have solved this problem. Filters on the computer case? An isolated environment for the computer? Don't worry about it??? I use one of those flexible keyboards that are sealed, but my computer sucks in the air and the little bit of dust there in the air builds up.

Greg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sawdust in the computer.JPG  

Being outside the square !!!

You're worried about that little bit of dust? If you think you need it, you could try this. http://www.dirtbag.biz/index.html
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I use saran wrap to cover the keyboard to see the letters and number and when i use it to write up a program i use the onscreen keyboard (comes with windows) because it sure is cheaper to replace a ps2 mouse rather than a keyboard (on a laptop - thats what i use_

Maybe use a little bit of positive pressure to keep the dust out? Get a piece of flexible dryer vent, and use a fan to force air into it from outside your shop. Bring the duct to your computer case, maybe with another "pull fan" at the computer, to assist in air flow. Seal up your computer case, except for the power supply fan, which normally should exhaust outwards, and will pull air out of the inside of the case anyways.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Well most of the dust is entering via the fan for the power supply...several options add an external fan filter over the power supply, or enclose the whole computer and monitor in an enclosure with an air exchange system (works like having it in another room with only the CNC interconnects exiting the enclosure.)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperTX
    Well most of the dust is entering via the fan for the power supply
    Power supply fans blow out???
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

All of the power supply fans I've encountered exhausted outward. Some fan connections (inside the power supply housing) use two prong plugs. Maybe this plug or the wiring is reversed causing your fan to "inhale".

..just a thought...

Bloy

My mistake, the fan for the power supply on a PC does blow out....it's designed to use the gaps between the externally accessible drives to suck air by them to keep them cool. Of course it draws air through any opening.

When I designed rack servers I had blowers at the front pressuurizing the server enclosure and then would add an exhaust fan to draw the air over the hottest components in the server....usually the CPU boards.

You can't just reverse the plug on the cooling fans even though they are a D.C. fan. The reason being that they are of a brushless design. If you want them to blow the other way then you will have to take the fan out and reverse it and reinstall it.
    If it's not nailed down, it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose, it's not nailed down.

Quote Originally Posted by 2muchstuff
    You can't just reverse the plug on the cooling fans even though they are a D.C. fan. The reason being that they are of a brushless design. If you want them to blow the other way then you will have to take the fan out and reverse it and reinstall it.
    I hear you...I never actually reversed the wiring, but I sure did a lot of reinstalling and reversing all the fans (side,back, front) of the computer/enclosure to get a positive pressure with good cooling flow inside! And too testing different filter materials.

Bloy

P.S That "just a thought" was premature from my last post.

Those open cell gray foam filter elements will only collect so much dust even when stacked up. Now that dirt bag thing looks like something to be looked into, even if you had to tape it around a fan that exhausted.
    If it's not nailed down, it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose, it's not nailed down.

I have a similar problem in my shop, only my problem is carbon dust from graphite electrodes. The stuff gets everywhere. I just bought a new pc today and I don't want to ruin it so I am going to be figuring out a new strategy. I am thinking of putting the tower under the desk, this sill keep most of the dust from settling on the tower. I may put a filter on the vents to the tower as well. I will be putting one of those clear plastic covers over the keyboard, and I use a trackball mouse. The track ball has no moving parts to mess up, and I can clean it completely without ruining it. Anything else you guys would recommend?

Jim

A good vacuum system/shrowd sucking right near the bit.
    A portable air filtration system for the room and/or hanging plastic to compartmentalize the machine.
    A secondary frame enclosing the computer with filter panels.

This is not an original idea, but I don't remember where I seen it. It consists of a 110v box fan or similar type, some ducting and a round carburetor filter medium. I guess it works by applying clean positive air flow therebye keeping the dust from setteling within.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I use those GranTec flexible keyboards. Fully sealed and washable. For the controller boxes and computers I just have filters where the air enters. I also run 4" sewer PVC from the Office to each spot so they are drawing in cool clean air from that.

GranTec Keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by Harlow
    I use those GranTec flexible keyboards. Fully sealed and washable. For the controller boxes and computers I just have filters where the air enters. I also run 4" sewer PVC from the Office to each spot so they are drawing in cool clean air from that.

GranTec Keyboard
    Hey Harlow.
    I was wondering if the keyboard comes with a ps/2 adaptor? and do you know if it will work with dos cnc control software? Thanks- Robbie

They come with a USB and a PS2 adapter plug so you can use either. I see no reason why it wouldn't work with DOS. The Gran Tec doesn't have the same feel as most keyboards but you get used to it. They are flexible so you have to sit them on something to type.

Harlow

Thanks for the info Harlow, I figured I would give it a try so I just placed a order for one.

Hi all,

I'm setting things up for my first router and have also thought about computer protection.

As I work in a very dusty environment (dry ceramic dust), I think I'm going to build a seperate box for the computer and supply it with make-up air (from outside) and exhaust. This will require a lot of extra work but it will prevent dust from getting into the cd drive and/or hard drive. I've had several drives in th4e place I work kick the bucket prematurely and I suspect its because of dust!

I'll let you know how it goes.

Carlo

Page 1 of 2 12