586,069 active members*
3,739 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

Exclamation Once more into the breach, dear friends.

I have finally started my Joe's 2006 CNC build (yay)!

This project will roll right into the Joe's 4x4 Hybrid when construction and testing is complete.

I will be posting pictures and videos of the build's progress.

Stay tuned...

Chipzilla

Update...

The Joe's 2006 kit was ordered three weeks ago so it should be arriving soon. I have been conducting research into the various mods and upgrades that have been performed. I am also putting together a master parts list to begin pricing various suppliers. The excitement is intensifying as the anticipation grows.
    Stay tuned...

And so it begins...

The long anticipated arrival of the Joe's 2006 kit occurred today and I eagerly took possession of the package from the local FedEx facility and lovingly drove it home.

After placing the victim, er... patient on the operating table, I proceeded to carefully extract the contents. The quality of the parts is outstanding and grand kudos go to Joe for producing an excellent product.

Fiercely battling the fearsome ninja packing peanuts, they eventually overpowered me after wave upon wave of relentless onslaught and ultimately I succumbed to their overwhelming numbers and was captured.

They took me back to their encampment but I couldn't tell where I was due to the fact that they blindfolded me, bound, and gagged me. I was brought before their leader who mercilessly pummeled me into submission and I was read a list of demands.

Several hours later, through sheer cunning and superior intellect, I escaped with the contents of my Joes 2006 kit while the ninja packing peanuts were taking a nap.

Next up: Assembly begins

What will you be using for steppers / controller / power supply? If you don't mind saying, how much did you spend on the steppers? If you've not bought them yet, what do you plan on spending?

Quote Originally Posted by jallenmorris View Post
    What will you be using for steppers / controller / power supply? If you don't mind saying, how much did you spend on the steppers? If you've not bought them yet, what do you plan on spending?
    Haven't gotten any of the electronics yet. I'm still evaluating several choices, but I'm leaning in the direction of Mike Beck's system. I like the HobbyCNC package, but I plan to move directly into building the 4X4 Hybrid when this build is complete and would like to scavenge the control system for use with that. The Keling package is nice as well. It seems that everything I've read about the above mentioned control systems from their users that they all work equally as well. I will have to be making a choice very soon...

It looks like the Hybrid 4' x 4' and the Stepper, Controller and Power Supply from MikeBeck.org would be a good combination. That'd be about $1,000 counting shipping costs as well, $1,100 if you buy the plans, which seems like a good investment. It may be intuitive for some, and I can look at my fair share of projects and see how it should go together, but I'm not naive enough to try to assemble this thing without plans.

With the Hybrid 4'x4' and the electronics from MikeBeck.org, what else is there to buy?

Ordered the hardware from boltdepot.com and the bearings from vxb.com yesterday and was notified that they both shipped today. Can't ask for quicker service than that! Planning on camping out at the local HD this weekend and scraping up what I can get there. So far, so good...

Looking forward to the build. Gotta Love the Ninja Packing Peanuts, they do their Job well, They really get angry in the dead of winter when they are shocked even more with Static Electricity.

Yes there are several people running the 4x4 Hybrid with the HobbyCNC boards, I designed the machine to be sure it worked with it to start with, to try to make it obtainable for the "Average Joe" namely me.

Hardware arrived Friday from boltdepot.com and the bearings from vxb.com. Went to Lowe's yesterday and got everything else I needed for the build. The only remaining parts I need are the drive components and the control system. This is gonna be good...

Ordered the drive components today; the Acme screws from McMaster-Carr and all the support components from dumpsterCNC.com.

Assembly on the Z-Axis Carriage has started:

Starting on the Z-Axis Bearings next...

The Acme 1/2"-8 (2 start) threaded rods should arrive today and the dumpsterCNC parts in another day or so. I ordered the 3/4" drill rod from Enco last night which should complete all the necessary hardware for the build. All thats left is the control system and software which I will address after the machine is together. More pics to come...

Update: The Acme screws arrived yesterday as well as the dumpsterCNC parts. The drill rod from Enco will arrive on Monday. Looks like a busy weekend ahead!

Struggling with the fabrication of the linear bearing mounting rails as I am lacking in some of the basic tools. Looks like another trip to HF

Just make sure you get those holes in the aluminum angle perfect or half of the bearings will be airborne.

I see 5 $25 clamps and a compressor just sitting there. Seeing canvases, my other profession, makes me think you have a stapler but no nail gun. Take the clamps back and get yourself a finish nailer.

Enjoy the build and work with the machine before jumping to anything else. Joe did a good job on it and it will give you the opportunity to find out all that you ever wanted to know, tolerances, material cutting.....Later on, a year or so, you'll learn that you can take that same machine and turn it into a precision cutting monster for less than $500 and with the same hardware you already have.

Quote Originally Posted by Serb View Post

I see 5 $25 clamps and a compressor just sitting there. Seeing canvases, my other profession, makes me think you have a stapler but no nail gun. Take the clamps back and get yourself a finish nailer.
    Imo, you can never have enough clamps.

And a stapler (for stapling wood, narrow crown 18g) will hold better than a finish nailer. But I much prefer clamping in this application than stapling or nailing. Staples and nails just don't hold well enough, and won't pull the parts together tightly enough.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

looking good, I miss my 06' machine

and oh is that statement so true Ger, I don't think there will be a day in my life when I say I have too many clamps

Progress Update - November 2009

As usual, life gets in the way of everything fun. Anyway, I did manage to get a little more accomplished on the build...

The Z-Axis Carriage body is complete and has received a coat of sanding sealer ready for its initial sanding.

The Y-Axis Gantry Torsion Box is glued up and securely clamped together.

The Gantry Bottom Torsion Box is unclamped and getting its joints reinforced with additional glue.

The day after tomorrow my staycation begins and I should be able to bust out a whole mess of work on this puppy.

Stay tuned!

X-Axis Torsion Box

I managed to get teh X-Axis torsion box put together over the weekend.

Next I will be putting a coast of sanding sealer over everything and getting them prepped for paint.

Any updates?
    Deeds not words...
    VoltsAndBolts runs RC for the builder. http://www.voltsandboltsonline.com/ My Forum

Slow, but steady, progress

It's been a while since my last post and work has slowed to a crawl.
    I did manage to get a final coat of sanding sealer on everything. All I need to do is give everything a once over with the sandpaper and give it a coat or two of color. I am still trying to figure out the best way (for me) to drill the holes for the bearing mounts. I am thinking that a template would work best and I am inching my way toward that end. But, as usual, life keeps getting in the way. Onward I march (or crawl...)

Inching Forward

Got some more sanding done on the X-Axis Torsion box. Need to finish that and sand the Y-Axis Torsion box and the gantry bottom torsion box.

I've been working on a few ideas for bearing mounting plate templates and should be starting on those real soon. Then it's off to remove the black coating from the iron pipe.

Can't wait for that.

Hang in there.

Page 1 of 3 123