586,119 active members*
3,707 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > Solidworks on a Dual Booted Mac?

Question Solidworks on a Dual Booted Mac?

I'm getting one of the new Apple computers and was wondering If anyone has installed Solidworks on a dual booted Mac running XP Pro as the other OS?
    Can I be done and function correctly? Thanks!!

Larry O

Quote Originally Posted by Phishaholic View Post
    I'm getting one of the new Apple computers and was wondering If anyone has installed Solidworks on a dual booted Mac running XP Pro as the other OS?
    Can I be done and function correctly? Thanks!!

Larry O
    I do it at home on my mac pro. It works fine other than the video card probably not being optimal. Dual booting is kind of a pain so I'm planning on getting a dedicated machine to run SW. You may be able to order a Mac Pro with a video card that's better for SW.

I also run Parallels and SW is usable but far from great.

I run SW2008 on the windows side. Works fine for in the shop, but realview graphics don't work with the video card. The other little nuisance is that to delete someting, you need to hit FN+Delete. But that's pretty minor.

This is running on a MacBook (not pro) 13". About 3 years old.

Take care,
    Paul

I have been running SW 2007 student edition on my macbook pro for 3 years now, and it has been ok....I first bought parallels to run it, but the graphics were horrible and you could hardly get anything done. So then I decided to dual boot Win XP and with worked great except for the pain in the butt of having to restart and boot windows.

-Adam
    www.adambrunette.com - Converting My Harbor Freight X2 And My Jet Jvm-830 Knee Mill, As well as many other projects.

I run SolidWorks 2009 on a bootcamp'd 24" iMac. The iMac is relatively new and runs a Core Duo 2.5ghz cpu w/ 4gb ram and an nvidia graphics card.

Everything works 100%, and I even run on dual monitors.

b.