586,104 active members*
3,250 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Uncategorised CAD Discussion > Alibre Design Standard for $99
Page 1 of 3 123

Alibre Design Standard for $99

Alibre Design Standard V11 is on sale for a limited time for the rock bottom price of $99 (from $999). Supports solids, assemblies, sketching, history and more. Decent 3D package build on ACIS from Spatial. No strings attached. IMO it is a killer deal for this price.

Note that Alibre V12 is around the corner and support/upgrades for a year is $299.

I think there are only a couple weeks left to get in on this deal.

I saw this too, and was wondering.....what's the catch? $99 for a $999 design package? Are there hidden maintenance charges or are they just trying to increase their user base? I'm very interested in purchasing, but leary about such a good deal.

Reading the first post here, it looks like a new version will be out shortly, and it'll cost you at least $299 to upgrade. I'm guessing it's $299 now, and probably more if you wait.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Direct from Alibre support forum

Quote Originally Posted by Max
    Does this offer apply to existing customers, too ?
    Yes.

Is it V11.2 or the coming V12 which is sold in this offer ?
    11.2. Buy maintenance

Does this offer apply outside the U.S. (rest of world), too ?
    Yes, though it may not be exactly $99. But close. Ask your reseller.

I guess the offer will end when V12 comes out
    It will not run longer than v12 - it may not run longer than the next 20 days.

Outside the USA the exact deal may differ from territory to territory, though I suspect the basic idea of the offer will be the same.
    Correct

If you are keen to get v12, the $99 offer + maintenance would still be a big discount
    Correct

I think Standard version (even if V11.2) at this price is clearly the best value on the CAD market (including "consumer" and "pro" CAD products).
    Correct

I got my copy over the weekend.
    Even if it is a soon to be superseded version, it's a great deal.
    The decision now is 'do I buy maintenance so I can get the next version?'
    Regards
    Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by jhoro View Post
    Alibre Design Standard V11 is on sale for a limited time for the rock bottom price of $99 (from $999). Supports solids, assemblies, sketching, history and more. Decent 3D package build on ACIS from Spatial. No strings attached. IMO it is a killer deal for this price.

Note that Alibre V12 is around the corner and support/upgrades for a year is $299.
    I downloaded the demo, and it does look like a pretty good deal. Question though is I can not export DXF. My cam program needs that format. Is this disabled somehow in the demos but would exist if I bought the product (@ $99)? Without it, I would not be able to use the product at all.

BTW, I first tried to download with firefox and got a blank white page after entering all the registration details for creating an account. I tried again this am with IE and it worked - just in case anyone else runs into the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by spiked3 View Post
    I downloaded the demo, and it does look like a pretty good deal. Question though is I can not export DXF. My cam program needs that format. Is this disabled somehow in the demos but would exist if I bought the product (@ $99)? Without it, I would not be able to use the product at all.
    What Cam program are you using? Alibre is full 3D so you need to use a 3D Cam program (MeshCam, CamBam and any number of $$$Cam) to take full advantage of it.

Question though is I can not export DXF. My cam program needs that format. Is this disabled somehow in the demos but would exist if I bought the product (@ $99)?
    The way to get a .dxf is to create a drawing of your part, and export the drawing as a .dxf. Be sure to start with a blank sheet, with the scale at 1:1.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

OK - I do have cambam (just purchased). I am used to doing 2d and setting the depth in cam, not in cad - so this is like a new thing for me. I think I am going to go out on a limb here and buy it. it sounds like everyone is pretty happy with it. Wish me luck.

OK - I do have cambam (just purchased). I am used to doing 2d and setting the depth in cam, not in cad - so this is like a new thing for me. I think I am going to go out on a limb here and buy it. it sounds like everyone is pretty happy with it. Wish me luck.
    Check out ViaCAD before you buy, as it will probably do exactly what you want for less money and without the maintainance that goes with Alibre. No connection, other than a satisfied customer of both ViaCAD and CamBam.

Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by blowlamp View Post
    Check out ViaCAD before you buy, as it will probably do exactly what you want for less money and without the maintainance that goes with Alibre. No connection, other than a satisfied customer of both ViaCAD and CamBam.
    Martin.
    I did try viaCAD for a week or so first. I was quickly able to model the couple of parts I need to build at the moment, and load them into cambam, within the first 2 days. As I looked at Alibre, I can tell it is more of a professional package. The thing is, 'more professional' has a steeper learning curve. I went ahead and purchased alibre with maintenance hoping it was the better long term choice.

Unfortunately I have yet to be able to finish the same models I did in ViaCAD and I have yet to successfully load anything into cambam I hope it is just the learning curve. Also, ViaCAD is only $84 from retailers (like amazon), so worse case, if I need to get something done in a hurry, I can still get ViaCAD without losing too much more $.

Quote Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
    I saw this too, and was wondering.....what's the catch? $99 for a $999 design package? Are there hidden maintenance charges or are they just trying to increase their user base? I'm very interested in purchasing, but leary about such a good deal.
    The "catch" is that the program is actually pretty good and you will get hooked on it and start paying the maintenance every year! In four years you will have paid the $999.

Question for those who have made the $99 purchase.
    Does one recieve a hard copy in the mail with manuals or is it just a downloaded version. I bought the software yesterday and it just dawned on me today that it may be download only. I received my resigration number but I have not done anything as of this date.
    I want to install the new softward on the computer at home and not here at work. The home computer is a laptop on a wireless network so downloading through my service provider could be a PITA. Any help will be appreciated.
    Bill
    Oh yeah, I'm kinda looking forward to learning a real cad program.
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

It is download only. Can you download to a USB key at work and install from there?

Well, I installed (downloaded) Alibre on my work compter and tried a second install on my home system well, bottom line, only one at a time. I have to do an uninstall at work to reinstall here. I guess it's fare but on the alibre forum, it has a thread that says that with the purchase you get three machine access. Guess for the 99 dollar special, it doen't apply.
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Ok, stupid lazy question, what exactly is "maintenance" and will the program die after a year if you do not pay for the "maintenance"?

Thanks,
    Dave
    Dave->..

Your program will continue to work but you won't get any upgrades i.e. you're stuck on version 11.2.
    If you have maintenance, you get version 12 when it's released.

It's covered here.
    Regards
    Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by tumutbound View Post
    Your program will continue to work but you won't get any upgrades i.e. you're stuck on version 11.2.
    If you have maintenance, you get version 12 when it's released.

It's covered here.
    Thanks so much, Geoff, that's exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate the help-

Dave
    Dave->..

Quote Originally Posted by bill south View Post
    Well, I installed (downloaded) Alibre on my work compter and tried a second install on my home system well, bottom line, only one at a time. I have to do an uninstall at work to reinstall here. I guess it's fare but on the alibre forum, it has a thread that says that with the purchase you get three machine access. Guess for the 99 dollar special, it doen't apply.
    Bill
    Are you sure anout this? It appears from the Alibre forum that 3 systems are allowed. You must however generate and submit the key for each new machine to get the correct license.

Got to http://www.alibre.com
    'Sign In' >input your user name and password
    Then go to 'My account info'>Your Alibre Design License Key
    Follow the directions and Apply for additional license code.

Page 1 of 3 123