586,065 active members*
4,842 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Service life for linear guide

Hi,
    I need some advice, does anyone knows what is a good service time in hours for a linear guide? Does 1000 hours are good? 2000? 4000? Or maybe even more (although I don’t know how it's possible in high speed and medium load)
    I am having difficulties determining the right service life, after all no machine axis work constantly even if the machine works 24/7

It depends on the specific guide in question and the load it's carrying. You'll need to look at the manufacturers data to figure it out.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

If you're able to find the manufacturer's specs on the linear guides you're using, try to locate the dynamic load rating. This value indicates the average load the guides will take for a rated life of 50km (or 100km, depending on the mfg) of travel.

If the load on a given linear guide is less than the dynamic rating, it will last longer than 50/100 km.

Done right, they should last a lot longer than 4000 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Glacern View Post
    If you're able to find the manufacturer's specs on the linear guides you're using, try to locate the dynamic load rating. This value indicates the average load the guides will take for a rated life of 50km (or 100km, depending on the mfg) of travel.

If the load on a given linear guide is less than the dynamic rating, it will last longer than 50/100 km.

Done right, they should last a lot longer than 4000 hours.
    I think I might found the problem, is 1 G acceleration is to high?

I did all the math, and did an excel file for all of it, in the file you can see the calculation for the HIWIN ball screw and rail for each axis, but I must be missing something, all the axis have a double rail configuration with two guides on each rail, and even so I barely reach 3500 hours (and that is after I reduce the load safety margin to a minimum) I added the file to the post, all the field that are marked yellow are input parameters, all the rest are calculation based on those parameter and HIWIN catalogs, in the ball screw section you can also see the motor calculation, which are very problematic, since even in 1:4 ratio I need 8 HP for Z and 20HP for Y

Please help! And will be forever in you debt

Yovav
    Attached Files Attached Files