586,117 active members*
3,606 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Stepper Motor Controller Questions

Stepper Motor Controller Questions

New here, hope this is the right section

Anyways, I'm wanting to make a small scale CNC machine, which I already have designed and am in the process of constructing it. I need a stepper motor controller, that will be running 3 unipolar stepper motors. I don't mind building it myself if I need to. I basically need the most inexpensive controller possible that is capable of doing this. I was looking at the Linistepper, as well as one on www.instructables.com (located HERE), but I'm just looking for some input. Thanks

I have no experience using other unipolar boards than the HCNCPro from HobbyCNC. It is an "All-In-One" board with 3 (or 4) drivers and parallel port connection. I can just say that I have been very satisfied with its performance during the years and it is cheap.

You have to assemble it youself, but it's fairly easy and comes with well explained intructions how to do it. You will be able to join a specific user group where you can get all the help you want.

If you have the money, another option would be the G540 from Geckodrive. It is a 4 axis drive with BOB like the HCNC. It is a bi-polar drive, but I think that your steppers would hook up with it. (you could tell us which steppers you have). For several reasons, its performance vs price is really hard to beat. Especially now where GD have their annual costumer appreciation sale.

Good luck

Brian

Alright, thank you very much for your input. I like the look of the HCNCPro. Not to sound cheap, but is there any other more inexpensive options? This is my first CNC, so I don't need anything major, and just want something inexpensive to get it operational before I work on upgrading different components of it.

I have been looking around a little bit, and stumbled across PMinMO.com . I was looking at the Pic3, the Tach42, and This (I didn't see a name for it). Any of those any good?

I can't/won't recommend other boards, for the simple reason that I haven't tested them myself. I hope that others will come up with some inputs.

Maybe it's easier if you tell us something about the machine you are building and what you want to do with it?

E.G.

- Dimensions of the machine
    - Weight
    - Linear guidance
    - By which mechanism is it driven (screw or maybe belt?) Pitch?

I think that the best way to advise you, is to know what we are dealing with and what your needs are. It's all about happiness over a longer term.

After a short while you will become addicted to CNC, so it's better to get it "more right" the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by CNCDevil View Post
    Maybe it's easier if you tell us something about the machine you are building and what you want to do with it?
    Alright, that's doable It's a very small machine, with the entire footprint less than 2' by 2'. I will be just making random odds and ends; Belt Buckles, PCB Boards, and the like. I would like for it to be capable of machining Aluminum. The x- and y- axes will have their rails attached to the base. I don't really know how to explain it very well, if there's anything you need to know that I missed just say so

- Dimensions of the machine
    I'll assume you mean the cutting area I'm not at home (which is where my design is), but I believe the cutting surface is only about 8"-9" by 11"-12".

- Weight
    I am not 100% what the weight will be, but it won't be much, as I designed it with the intentions of keeping it light-weight. I believe the motors I'm looking at are about 130oz-in each, but again, most of my information is at home.

- Linear guidance
    Noobiness kickin' in. What does that mean?

- By which mechanism is it driven (screw or maybe belt?) Pitch?
    It will be screw driven. I can't remember the pitch, as, yet again, information is at home!

After a short while you will become addicted to CNC, so it's better to get it "more right" the first time.
    That's completely understandable I just want to get something that's operational that I can practice on, and get my basic skills developed before I convince myself to put more money into it.

When you get back home, write a post with the parts you've missed, including the materials you made the machine of. If you have a drawing it would be nice.

Machining aluminium you say? We want to discuss this subject when we know more.

Liniar guidance is the rails for the axis' you mentioned. What type are they?

When you get back home, write a post with the parts you've missed, including the materials you made the machine of. If you have a drawing it would be nice.

Machining aluminium you say? We want to discuss this subject when we know more.

Liniar guidance is the rails for the axis' you mentioned. What type are they?
    Okay, thanks for all the help thus far. Once I have the information you seek I'll be sure to write a nice detailed post with some pictures of the design

Also, is it possible to get this to work via USB, or do I need a parallel port for most applications? The reason I ask is because I'm placing an order in a few days, and I'm wondering whether or not to order a PCI Parallel port card, as my MoBo I'm ordering does not have one.

You should get it.

There is a possibillity to use an USB connection, but at this moment it's not an option for you.

You should get it.

There is a possibillity to use an USB connection, but at this moment it's not an option for you.
    Okay, thanks