586,096 active members*
3,722 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Multicam 3000 Umbra spindle

Hello everyone,
    I'm in need of help as far as who in US works with Umbra spindles.
    Begining of our problems was a fact that we were getting "tools not loaded" on controler and once we got that "semi fixed" we noticed that spindle itself would stop at any rpm. Seems like we need some knowlage on these spindles, tips or perhaps someone who had simillar problem.

ps. It is 5.5 hp autmatic tool changer air cooled spindle.

In addition, we adjusted drawbar according to manufacturer specs and after 25th strokes we are back again to "tool not loaded" if anyone has any info or hints what to look for I would greatlly appriciate it.

chips in the tool holder will cause the tool not loaded error, also check the if the sensor for z is clean we had a alum chip on ours and it caused all kinds of tool load errors. the sensor is a little black rectangle behind the ball screw, you may also have to adjust the parameter on how low the head goes when picking the tool.

these are problems we has with our machine i don't know if your problem is the same.

Our tool holders been always cleaned and maintain by the book.
    We pulled clamping unit, checked air pressure valves and adjusted clamping cone per umbra specs. We were told that we need new spindle after 1.5 of smooth cutting.
    I'm not big fan of Umbra spindle right now, and can't find anybody that wants to even work on these units.
    When our spindle stalls durring warm up session, inverter is giving no singals of potential problem. By unloading tool spindle becomes free to spin again and even goes thru entire warm up after that. We do get "tool not loaded" which brings me to conclusion we may not be having enough force once we have tool inside the chuck.

I am new to zone. We are having a similar issue with our 3000 router. I was hoping to track down a manual or a how to clean tool changer/spindle to get out spindle to recognize our tools. I also have noticed that when tool is pick up that is seems to be putting a bit of pressure on the tool itself.

Need some help to figure this out.

Thanks
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by rputters View Post
    I am new to zone. We are having a similar issue with our 3000 router. I was hoping to track down a manual or a how to clean tool changer/spindle to get out spindle to recognize our tools. I also have noticed that when tool is pick up that is seems to be putting a bit of pressure on the tool itself.

Need some help to figure this out.

Thanks
    Rob
    Our problem was in sensor that broke and was a reason why we had to rebuild spindle. There i a place in Canada that handles Umbra spindles btw.
    I would call Multicam and have them find out what's wrong with your machine.
    If they don't come out, take top part of entire unit off and inspect proxy sensor that sits on of spindle itself.

hi
    me too Our problem was in sensor that broke
    now i get low air evry 5 min or so cant fix it

Umbra spindle repair

for repair of the Umbra spindle, try www.precisionspindleinc.com/products_repair_spindle.shtml