587,006 active members*
3,275 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

3D Frustration

Can anybody help with 3D files in V23, we're pulling our hair out!
    I draw in Inventor and my colleague uses Autocad, so we save files in IGES, STEP and DWG.
    We're mainly having problems with holes, we can see them on our drawing when we open them in Bobcad, but we can't select them to create our toolpath. We're probably doing something stupidly wrong but we can't see it.

Hi Tim,

I get Inventor files from my biggest customer. One of my biggest problems is losing some surfaces when I import to BobCAD. I always ask for a STEP and an IGES (never had luck with .DWG) and STEP is usually better than the IGES. That's just a general tip to save you some headache when importing Inventor files.

BobCAD's 2D operations (like drilling, profiling, engraving) will not accept geometry from a solid. You must first extract the edge by going to Utilities - Extract Edges - Single/Solid. Then BobCAD will be able to work with that 2D geometry. Did you do this already?

I would suggest when you extract the edge that you create a new layer like SOLID - EDGES so you can easily hide your surface date to select the newly extracted geometry.

I apologize if you already did this and I'm misunderstanding the question. Let me know what you find.

P.S. So you have a VMax? That's a wicked machine!

Hey, thanks for the quick reply!
    we haven't tried that yet, we're flying blind here.
    We both have lots of other duties and are trying to fit this CNC thing in between everything else. I'll go try your suggestions now :-)
    And yes, had the Max from new in 1996 and it still puts a big grin on my face every time I ride it