586,114 active members*
2,987 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Rhinocam > Starting point selection

Starting point selection

Has anyone figured out a workaround (rhinocam basic 2.0) to allow one to select a starting point for 2.5d profiling especially? Often times whatever the software picks is ok, sometimes lacking the ability to start and stop at a certain point causes difficulty.

To work around this problem, simply select and explode the the shape. While the exploded curves are still selected, deselect (Ctrl click) one part of the shape near where you want to start your toolpath. Now join all the selected curves and as result you will have one polycurve and one single curve segment that meet at 2 points. With the polycurve still selected use the fillet command (radius=0, join=yes) and join it by selecting one end of the unselected single curve segment and it will join them into one closed polycurve. The new starting point of the your toolpath will be the meeting point that you did not join with the fillet.

If you need a specific starting point along a nurbs curve or arc you will have to split it at that location.

:banana: Peanut butter and Jelly Time :banana:

How on earth did you discover this? Did you write the code? Did MechSoft support educate you? It isn't intuitive, but if it works, so be it. Thank you very much!!

A little late perhaps but in Rhino there's the curve/curve edit tools/adjust closed curve seam menu option. Wherever you set that is where RC will start. I use it all the time as I find RC rarely picks a good starting point.

crvseam

Curve Seam Command crvseam. Read this on a rhino help forum somewhere. Use it all the time now. I always thought "what a stupid thing to leave out of Rhinocam" but it was in Rhino the whole time. Appears I was the stupid one and not the program once again. Simply select curve, use crvseam command, and left click the point with the arrow and then drag it to new starting point.

ftec Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenSebastia View Post
    Curve Seam Command crvseam. Read this on a rhino help forum somewhere. Use it all the time now. I always thought "what a stupid thing to leave out of Rhinocam" but it was in Rhino the whole time. Appears I was the stupid one and not the program once again. Simply select curve, use crvseam command, and left click the point with the arrow and then drag it to new starting point.
    Not so stupid I think because how would you know that it's related to the curve seam - if you even knew about curve seams in the first place. There should be a Rhinocam specific toolbar in Rhino made by Mecsoft that's for sure. I started using Rhino at the same time with rhinocam with different cad program background so I assume there still are more than a lot of important things I'm not aware - at least based on how slow it actually is to create machining ops with Rhinocam.