586,117 active members*
3,414 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

pwm spindle setup for newbie!!! HELP!!

Hey guys,
    Just got the machine working on cnc control and tried to setup my teco vector drive with my c11g board and mach 3. Got the spindle to turn on and off but cannot get it to run at max speed. The pot is adjusted all the way up on the board and I got the ports and pins setup to hit port 1 pin 14 like the manual says for the board but it does not seem to want to output the right freq to get it to spin my max of 10vdc output. Highest I could get it was like 3vdc. The vector drive works great by itself so I know it is not the drive but when I try to configure mach for it I am not having any luck. I read thru the manual on spindle setup and it does not say how to adjust the speed. I am sure it is something simple but right now I just am gonna pull the hair out.., any help would be appreciated...peace

Pete,

That board will only work right at 25k on the PP. You max PWM rate will be what ever your max spindle speed is for the pulley range your using, then to adjust, the voltage output, you need to lengthen or shorten the PWM signal pulse to vary your final voltage.

scott
    Commercial Mach3: Screens, Wizards, Plugins, Brains,PLCs, Macros, ATC's, machine design/build, retrofit, EMC2, Prototyping. http://sites.google.com/site/volunteerfablab/

Scott.....

Hey thanks for the reply man.... I understand what you are saying about the freq and I think you set that on the ports and pins spindle setup page right? Then I get the spindle pulley setup as I did set two speeds for my two pulley ranges and got one set for 0-1100 rpm and the other for 0-5980 I think. I did set the ratio for zero on those and did not check the reversing little box. What I do not understand is how and where do you adjust the freq to set the max output of 10vdc on max spindle speed for the vector drive? Does that make sense? Thanks again for the help....peace

For PMW, I think you type in a value in the spindle setup page to the right under ports and pins.

You might also want to give your pulley speeds a low value greater than 0. The slowest speed that you would ever be able to run. This way, it will be easier to adjust between the speeds and don't have so far to cover from high to low. Dang! I just confused myself.
    It's not that critical really, but sure helped me. Mine runs under step and direction though, rather than PMW.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pmw.jpg  
    Lee