586,114 active members*
3,264 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Air Blast - Multus

Hi guyz, another quicky...

I'm want to run my milling cutters dry, and use air to clear the chips.
    There is no option in IGF (only ext/thru spindle, coolant on/off).

I've tried every M code in the book for additional air blast, plus the ones listed in the on-screen help, yet none of them work!

Is there a parameter I need to be looking for?

I asked Okuma and they told me M50/51, which is no good(thru spindle, creates alarm), and M868/869 which is used during toolchange and tries to inch the spindle(another alarm). I had tried both of these before ringing Okuma, too.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Multus Air Blow

M50/M51 is thru spindle air blow, all tool types. I know on Okuma mills you can blow thru spindel while cutting, but i do not think you can on Multus. I think i had a customer with the same issue. What did the distrubutor say?

Mills use
    M50= thru tool coolant
    M51= thru tool coolant -high pressure

and on our horizontal (MX40-HA)
    M12 = external air ON
    M339 = air blow thru spindle
    M9 = all OFF
    conditions for air blow , spindle must be OFF, air ON then spindle ON
    air holes must not allow pressure build-up ( blows the coupling seals at the back of spindle )

The codes may match up for you

Quote Originally Posted by DIFF OVER View Post
    What did the distrubutor say?
    I havn't heard back since their last two suggestions didn't work...

figures. please make sure on the multus you do not have / get a chip issue on the spindle face. this is a know okuma issue. okuma does have an bulletin out on this issue. the distributor AE should have set you up with 3 m- code macros for this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by zooloader View Post
    I havn't heard back since their last two suggestions didn't work...
    So did you ask again?

Thru spindle air is an option on a Multus lathe. Did you purchase the option? If not then I guess that is why it does not work and there is no M code.
    M868/869 is for cleaning the thru coolant out of the spindle, This M code function includes spindle inching which is set in the parameters, This cleaning function cannot be used for more than 1 minute.

Quote Originally Posted by DIFF OVER View Post
    figures. please make sure on the multus you do not have / get a chip issue on the spindle face. this is a know okuma issue. okuma does have an bulletin out on this issue. the distributor AE should have set you up with 3 m- code macros for this issue.
    There may be a bulletin issued in the USA but not from Okuma Japan. Just out of interest what are the "New" M codes?

OM450
    IF[VAPAX GE VPVLX]NOK (Checks that the X-axis is located at the positive limit)
    VUACM[1]='X'
    VUACM[2]='_6^ XP/DC^E2' (Displays a message stating that the X-axis is not at its limit.)
    VDOUT[992]=1000 (Displays the user code for alarm B.)
    NOK IF[VKND1[1]NE 16]NLT (Determines whether the tool mounted on the turret is lathe type
    or not.)
    M51 M08 M869 (M tool: Spindle nose air blow w/jog, periphery coolant and
    through spindle air blow: ON)
    GOTO NSTP
    NLT M51 M263 M869 (L tool: Spindle nose air blow w/jog, periphery coolant and
    through spindle air blow: ON)
    NSTP G04 F5
    M50 M262 M868 M09 (Spindle nose air blow w/jog, periphery coolant, through spindle
    air blow: OFF)
    RTS

OM451
    IF[VAPAX GE VPVLX]NOK (Checks that the X-axis is located at the positive limit.)
    VUACM[1]='X'
    VUACM[2]='_6^ XP/DC^E2' (Displays a message stating that the X-axis is not at its limit.
    NOK IF[VKND1[1]NE 16]NLT (Determines whether the tool mounted on the turret is lathe type
    or not.)
    M08 M869 (M tool: Spindle nose air blow with jog and Periphery coolant:
    ON)
    PJ105834
    PJ107807
    PJ107332
    PJ108224
    MACTURN 350
    All subsequent
    models
    MACTURN 550
    2004,4 and all
    subsequent
    models
    GOTO NSTP
    NLT M263 M869 (L tool: Spindle nose air blow with jog and Periphery coolant: ON)
    NSTP G04 F5
    M262 M868 Spindle nose air blow with jog and Periphery coolant: OFF)
    RTS

OM452
    IF[VAPAX GE VPVLX]NOK (Checks that the X-axis has been located at the positive limit.)
    VUACM[1]='X'
    VUACM[2]='_6^ XP/DC^E2' (Displays a message stating that the X-axis is not at its limit.
    NOK M869 (Spindle nose air blow with jog: ON)
    G04 F5
    M868

Thanks for the reply, Yes that will work but there is an easier way, Try changing the Toolchange code to 341 in IGF and use M341 in place of M321 and clean all tools

save this as a lib file

OM341
    VS88=VMTTL
    IF [VTTLN[1] EQ VS88]NLP1
    G20 HP=4
    M869
    M263
    M175
    G04 F4
    M868
    M262
    M174
    NLP1 M321
    RTS

Quote Originally Posted by budgieW View Post
    So did you ask again?

Thru spindle air is an option on a Multus lathe. Did you purchase the option? If not then I guess that is why it does not work and there is no M code.
    M868/869 is for cleaning the thru coolant out of the spindle, This M code function includes spindle inching which is set in the parameters, This cleaning function cannot be used for more than 1 minute.
    Yes, I did ask again.
    I told them over the phone that I had already tried both M51 and M869. I asked a 2nd rep in person after explaining what I had tried, and got the same answer.
    I was told the one minute thing, but neither mentioned it was an option, or that the inching could set by parameter. So what does that mean anyway? Not more than one minute- can I have it on for 59s, turn it off then back on again for another 59s??

I'm not surprised that it is an option, considering that milling dry is a normal thing to do in a lot of cases.

M289 M288 on and off