586,082 active members*
3,650 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Depth Cut Issue

I'm getting this really weird issue whenever i try to do a Depth Cut in Mastercam. Regardless of how many cuts i make, how deep they are, whether I'm contouring or pocketing, when Mastercam generates the back plot, it always cuts the second cut first, then proceeds with the rest and at the end, comes up and cuts the first cut... I assume there is a setting I'm missing. Thanks.
    Site in Progress: http://www.creativecad.com/

It would be most helpful to have a Mastercam file (with the error) to look at so we can help you.

Curious,
    Are you using 1 roughing pass then, say 2 finishing passes?

many would seperate roughing and finishing into 2 seperate operations ( its easier to drag and drop to get the op sequence just right )

For using "Depth cuts" or "Multipasses" , use the 1 field only ( rough or finish ) and set the other to zero passes, until you know exactly what it does, become aware of what each choice would give you ( even the "Keep tool Down" and "Use Subroutines" ) in each contour type ( 2D/3D, chamfer, Ramp )

As a suggestion, don't be in a big hurry to turn everything on or pick every surface, or fill out every dialog box.
    Select or set the minimum required, toolpaths will calculate faster, you will get to know what is controlled by what field. Sometimes ( very often ) too much info may cause processing problems , it's good to check-out a path done in 1 depth, ( just to see if the main settings are correct, before letting loose with 0.050" depth of cuts )

Ok, i attached the file, I only made one rough path with 10 depth cuts. I'm stumped as to why it wouldn't cut in order of depth...
    Attached Files Attached Files

sorry, I can't look at the file ( at home on leave )

How many contours do you have for the operation ?
    what settings have you got for depth order ( contour or depth )

To work it out,
    try using 1 contour, ( using only 1 contour eliminates this option area )
    set rough depths to more than 1/2 full depth ( adjust this value to sort out the problem ) ( use this area to get your passes going )

Set finish cuts to zero # of cuts ( this is good for doing things like spring cuts, or a # of shallower cuts when down near final depth )
    ( I think your problem is in using this last option )

You should have 2 passes, #1 pass at midway and 1 at finish depth
    now adjust the roughing maximum depth per pass

i noticed the first depth of cut was .0455 which was .02 more than the .025 depth of cut in your parameters box.

for some reason i assume it made an adjustment on the first cut to program the even 10 cuts to the bottom of the part.

i made an adjustment to the depth of cut parameters as follows

added 1 finish cut,the amount of the finish cut .020 and the first cut was .025 just as you had wanted.

hope this helps
    2007 Haas TMP-1 Microscribe MX-5 Mastercam X4 Mill Level 3 Surfaces,Solids Seagate 2 tb hard drive AMD 64x2 8gig ram windows ultimate 7 64bit Geoforce 8800 GTX

Seems like there is a bug involved. I opened your file with X4-MU1 (Beta version) and backplotted it and saw the Z-.0455 first depth cut...

I simply regenerated it as you programmed it and it started at Z-.025 as you would expect. You didn't do anything wrong and it appears that the bug should be straightened out with the X4-MU1 release.

Sorry i haven't replied, i've been gone the past few days

But that makes me feel a bit better... weird bug though