586,121 active members*
3,758 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Resolver Question, Electrical help needed.

Resolver Question, Electrical help needed.

I have a fadal with dc servos. It came wired for a 4th axis.

I would like to put a baldor servo I have on a rotary table as a DIY 4th axis.

The baldor servo I have has a DC tach and resolver. I have cleaned and rebuilt the servo with brushes and bearings. The servo is not a fadal baldor servo. it was pulled from another project.

My questions is: What is the "resolver board" on the fadal machine, and can it be replicated. I do not believe the resolver makes it all the way back to the control board (could be wrong here). I believe it goes to some little magical board with a voltage reg or some kind of transistor (saw a picture of it). I am curious what is required to bring in the resolver from this Baldor back to the control.

I have looked over my machine and under my servo cap (z axis) to find the board. No dice. Any ideas?

Thanks

Daniel
    '93 Fadal VMC-40
    Fadal 88 Control

The resolver wires are soldered to a board with a molex type plug that fits in the rear housing of the servo. The resolver does in fact go right to the control. Make sure the resolver on your baldor motor is the same voltage as fadal uses,which I think is 12 volts(dont quote me). You may run into a problem using the baldor motor with the stock Glentek drive as the stock drive doesn't have a lot of adjust ability. I tried this a few years ago with a baldor motor while trying to replace a bad rotab servo,the motors had different inductance values and I couldnt get the motor stable and it got hot quick. You may have to get a drive that will work with your motor,Advanced Motion Control drives work well and are reasonable.

IN the picture below denoted by the red. blk and clear wire that goes to the A axis board. one end terminates at the a axis plug the other at the bullet plug at the bottom of the card. I would like to know if this is the servo tach. I cant find another good place for it so this seems logical.

Also, denoted by the blue. Does anybody happen to know what colors represent what on the fadal resolver? My resolver does not have an identical color scheme.

'93 Fadal VMC-40
    Fadal 88 Control

RED : thats a resolver for CNC logic control. So that makes the numbers that you see beside the Axis position. (whent jogging + prg running)

Blue : I cant tell. The pictures is too small (low resulution)

Anyway : Tach is directly connected to servo AMP board (through some connectors i guess). So it does not go anywhere else (as far as i know). Tach only has 2 wires. Maybe one more for shielding. We had a broken tach some time ago so i saw the private life of a servo
    FADAL VMC4020 HT 1995, Z 28" (if true) , 88HS , 10K rmp , 21 TC geneva /rotary/ , VH-65 (A-axis) ,3ph 400V , metric, NO conveyor, No palette. (+alternative DC AMP)

Pilot. I guess what I am trying to understand on the servo, where do the clear, blk wires go to. The clear and blk wires are the ones in red that go to the bullet connector.

What I am asking on blue is what color wire goes to the resolver that denotes excitation + excitation - and the sin and cos signals.

The servo as I see it has 10 wires
    red & black for motor power V, P
    red & black for Tach (unknown)
    6 for the resolver. e,f,j,kg,
    Negating all sheilding.

I am attempting to build a 4th axis cable from my factory plug to my servo. Clearly there are way more connections to the big cannon connector that I will have at my servo. I need to sort out what does what befoer I can proceed

Thank you.

Link to the picture for better resolution
    http://fadalcnc.com/Tech_files/Wirin...vo_Options.pdf
    '93 Fadal VMC-40
    Fadal 88 Control