586,103 active members*
2,751 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > Trying to figure out the right coolant to use for my situation

Trying to figure out the right coolant to use for my situation

I am using a Arrow 750 to machine mostly aluminum, some cold rolled steel and probably some 4140 and stainless. The problem I am running into is that I use this machine as a hobby machine so it sits around more than it runs. It really only runs on the weekends sometimes not even every week. With the coolant sitting around that long the water obviously evaporates, and the bacteria starts to grow and smell. I was wondering if there was a good solution to keep the coolant from smelling. I can add water every so often to keep it close to the right concentration but beyond that it will just be sitting around a majority of the time.

Hopefully someone has some experience with coolant sitting around more than it is circulated. Thanks for your knowledge.

Tom

Use an oil skimmer to remove any oil film. If you don't want to do that, you can also wick any film or light growth off the top of the coolant, using paper towel......like Bounty, which is a good one.

I actually 'skim the skimmer tank' this way: lay sheets of Bounty on top and let it wick up the flotsam with its natural absorbency. Use a new dry sheet for each pass until it looks like the film is gone. I then squeeze the fluid out of the wet towel and use it in a squeeze bottle on the saw or the lathe, where it just seems to disappear forever . The wet towel can be laid out to dry. Incinerate the dirtiest looking sheets, but the cleaner looking sheets can be saved for the next time to scavange the grungiest flotsam.

I use Hocut 795B for synthetic concentrate and RO water. This seems to reject bacterial growth very well, if one takes care of the surface of the coolant. I get 1 to 2 years use out of a batch of coolant. Sometimes it may sit for a week or two with no disturbance except for the skimmer.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Any experience using Zebra odor control tablets? They recommend an oxygenator with them. Is that really necessary or just am improvement? That's all I've seen as far as a coolant treatment beyond skimmers, even though it sounds like you just use a skimmer, I don't know if cleaning the surface would work very well though as most of the coolant is contained in tanks under the machine and very little of it is actually exposed for easy skimming with paper towel.

You could try using an aquarium bubbler along with an airstone, or a network of airstones. Run the thing on a timer once a day for an hour or so. I tried this in times past, but the coolant tank on the machine was not deep enough for the air to really mix throughout the whole tank so I quit using that system and changed coolant brands instead.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by HuFlungDung View Post
    You could try using an aquarium bubbler along with an airstone, or a network of airstones. Run the thing on a timer once a day for an hour or so. I tried this in times past, but the coolant tank on the machine was not deep enough for the air to really mix throughout the whole tank so I quit using that system and changed coolant brands instead.
    Cool, thanks, I will keep that in mind and see if I can make something work. I may change coolant as well since I could use some anyways. I'll look into the stuff you are using.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Arrows don't use way oil, so a skimmer won't be necessary. I'd still go with the bubble stone idea to keep it circulated though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jawbreaker38 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but Arrows don't use way oil, so a skimmer won't be necessary. I'd still go with the bubble stone idea to keep it circulated though.
    Correct, they have greased bearing carriages. Thanks for the info.

Dear Blackbolt9,

The first question I have for you is; do you own a refractometer?

If not... you may want to consider getting one. 90% of coolant instability problems are caused from a low concentration in the sump. Also remove the tramp oil from on top of the coolant before you let the coolant sit for long periods of time. When a layer of tramp oil seals off the coolant from oxygen, you can start to get an anaerobic bacteria condition that will take over the sump, and causing bad odors.

Please feel free to e-mail me if you have any additional questions.

Best regards,

Coolant Guy
    Sales Engineer

I don't have a refractometer yet. I have used one before though and will get one once I mix some coolant for the machine.

I was asking the question because I have used Blaser before (only thing I have used) and know that if left to set it would start to smell pretty bad. This machine will sit more than it runs so I was wondering what to use that would still work well but not have the problem of smelling when left to sit. Thanks for the knowledge, I will keep that in mind. Do you agree with the Hocut recommendation?

Thanks again!

I'm a little biased since I work for Blaser Swisslube; and feel our products are excellent! Which Blaser product are you using?

Best regards,

Brett Reynolds
    Sales Engineer
    Blaser Swisslube Inc.
    AKA: Coolant Guy
    Sales Engineer

I just pump the "suds" out of the machine and into a bucket at the end of my "shift". If the stuff goes bad in the bucket....well out it goes.

Works for the saw, the mill and the lathe, each has it's own mix. I just swing the delivery hose to output into the bucket, and keep and ear tuned for when the sump starts running dry. OK OK, on the saw, I pull the drain plug, it's easier.....;-)

CalG

Put the coolant pump on a timer and and a tee in the coolant line from the pump. Put a valve on the tee with a hose discharging directly into the coolant tank and set the timer run the pump for 10 or 15 minutes every day. This aerates the coolant much better than any bubbler.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

[QUOTE=Coolant Guy;663371]I'm a little biased since I work for Blaser Swisslube; and feel our products are excellent! Which Blaser product are you using?

My problem with Blaser is that you have to use treated water, despite the fact that the rep stated we wouldn't have to. If it were my shop I'd be using ValCool. Blaser is a quality product, but it's too expensive and we had to add a treatment system.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolant Guy View Post
    I'm a little biased since I work for Blaser Swisslube; and feel our products are excellent! Which Blaser product are you using?

Best regards,

Brett Reynolds
    Sales Engineer
    Blaser Swisslube Inc.
    AKA: Coolant Guy
    Blasocut 4000 Strong is what the shop is currently using. I think we used some other Blasocut's also though. I won't argue that it is good stuff but I need to get rid of the odor that occurs when the machine sets for several weeks at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Put the coolant pump on a timer and and a tee in the coolant line from the pump. Put a valve on the tee with a hose discharging directly into the coolant tank and set the timer run the pump for 10 or 15 minutes every day. This aerates the coolant much better than any bubbler.
    I will see if I can make something like this work as it sounds like a great solution. I typically shut the whole thing off at the breaker box when I leave but if it fixes the problem I might have to stop doing that! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jawbreaker38
    My problem with Blaser is that you have to use treated water, despite the fact that the rep stated we wouldn't have to. If it were my shop I'd be using ValCool. Blaser is a quality product, but it's too expensive and we had to add a treatment system.
    What problem did you have with the Blaser when you didn't use treated water? And what do you mean by treated water? I've always used "city" water right out of the spout with it so I'm curious.