586,108 active members*
3,117 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Ultimate X2 Speed Controller
Page 2 of 2 12
    >Hello Everyone,

>Ok, You have spoken, and the controller will have a 110-240V input range.

Awesome! More power = better...

>Now I need to know what is wanted to control input. I am thinking of >including 0-10V for the G540 users, Pulse and Dir for others, and Im looking >into a PWM option as well.

You could make 3 different models, or better yet, make one (deluxe model?) that is capable of all 3. OR, you could make a basic model with the ability to upgrade to the other two. This leaves those of us with designs on going with servos (eventually) not out in the cold while waiting for the bank acct to recover.

>For the reversing I was thinking of including the relay that would be needed. > I would lay it out so that the Normally Closed contacts are used for >forward operation. That why if you dont want reverse, you dont even need
    >to hook the Dir pin up.

Choices are always good...

>Now, What is wanted for feedback? I like the idea of encoder servo
    >feedback, but the circuitry needed would drive the price up real fast. So, I
    >think that a tach pulse is the best feedback for the controller to lock on the >speed. It then could fed the tach pulse or a modified pulse back to the >computer.

Again, you could sell 2 different models, or, you could make one model upgradeable with an optional board and encoder.

>I still hope to include the spindle load meter. It will probably just be a simple
    >readout based of current, but could still be useful.

Again, you could make it an option for the controller. While some of us (like me) would love to have this, some might not see the point, depending on their machine's application.

>As for price, I hope to keep it affordable. I not going to say right now how
    >much, but I can say it will be cheeper then the replacement regular control
    >boards on LMS.

>I also want to mention that I believe this will be capable of powering the
    >motor on a stock X3 as well. Im not sure as I dont have one. But I think
    >that can be arranged to work as well.

Peraonally, what I think would work best from an overall product vision would be to make your basic controller very simple but versitale and allow for options to be added to it as you go. If you sold a basic kit- one that included the bare minimums, you could sell all the other options as add-ons (this might allow you to even sell clamp or bracket kits too, if the components sit outside the case). This would help keep the cost down for the customers because the package could be built to suit by the one buying it and keep people from having to buy a ton of stuff they don't need (think Microsoft) AND it would streamline your manufacturing, if you plan on scaling up your operation-different lines for different products. It also allows you to come up with other options later as the creative juices keep flowing, maiking it flexible.

Just my 2b. Very much looking forward to the end result .

-Farasien

So... any progress?

Hey dad, are we there yet?

Any progress on the production of this as yet? Jus' wonderin'...

-F

Hi F,

I have the schematic worked out and have been working and layout.

I also have most of the parts needed to put together a prototype when I can get around to making the board.

I am really busy finishing up my house renovation and Hopefully am moving in over the next 2 weeks. After that I will be really driving at finishing it up.

I hope to have it all done, tested and ready to go out the door by the end of the year.

-Adam
    www.adambrunette.com - Converting My Harbor Freight X2 And My Jet Jvm-830 Knee Mill, As well as many other projects.

I've recently gone for a KB Electronics controller and it does pretty much everything I need. Speeds increased ~30% above stock and it can take far more power than the motor can use.
    The forward/reverse is something I just don't need. I can always wire in a simple switch if I do.
    220-240v is mandatory.
    These motors don't have enough torque to play servo, so that's an option you can scrub straight off.

So if you're targetting similar performance to a KB drive but with more options for speed control (pulses from mach or dc/pwm control through a pot or external drive) then that's all most of your ideal customers would need.
    My X2 CNC Brain Build: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61345
    Gecko G250 wiring errors: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68960

Page 2 of 2 12