586,089 active members*
3,846 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJW View Post
    I did more checking and I think it is not the micro switch. I took the pcool cover off and manually click the microswitch with every coolant position adjustment but the motor doesn't turn. I then disconnect the pcool motor and applied ~5~6 vdc to cycle the coolant position and then reconnected the pcool motor and that seem to have solved the problem. What could cause the motor/gear mechanism to become momentarily stuck? There a sticker attached to the motor wiring specifying 69mA. Is the pcool motor current a parameter value that can be changed?

On a side note, I had to wait a long long long time for the VF-2SS to boot up tonight. Usually the logo screen shows and the software loading messages start scrolling on the bottom but not this time. I cycled the machine a few time, hard cycle the machine a couple times and it still got stuck on the logo screen. I sat down to write my complaint to the board. . .funny I usually read about other people's complaints I wonder what's the big deal. . lol. . anyway, the threat of public complaint worked. Before hitting send, the machine has booted up. Why did it take so long to boot?

thanks,

John
    Look up Grainger P/N: 2L004; this is a motor gearbox assy for the P-cool. It is an exact match and I have used this part before. Roughly $60 at last purchase.

As to your boot up problem, it could be a number of different things (as always, right) but I would at least check your +/- 12vdc and +5vdc power coming from the power supply and at the mocon.

I have a machine that has been giving me similar problems for quite a while at random intervals. Seems if I hold the power buttun until it gets past the logo screen it will boot the rest of the way. I am pretty sure my problem is with the mocon but I am waiting until it gets worse so I can correctly diagnose the problem.

Good luck.

Thanks, I've ordered the motor assembly. I hope that does the trick, otherwise electronic component repairs tends to get a bit pricy. . .

Changing the whole motor and gearbox should do the trick. It's most likely the motor. My unit was acting the same way before I cleaned up the brushes, in the motor.

Good luck.

As a followup, I did install the motor gear box assembly from Grainger and that solved my intermittent PCool failure. Previously I would go a week or two before the pcool alarm. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJW View Post
    As a followup, I did install the motor gear box assembly from Grainger and that solved my intermittent PCool failure. Previously I would go a week or two before the pcool alarm. Thanks.
    Thanks for the follow up. It is always nice to hear what the final outcome to different problems are.

Glad it worked out for you.

for some reason the pcool we have will not stay in the same position. It will move up and down and it alarms out.

PCOOL Repair

Hi,

Do you have a picture of your PCOOL unit? I have fixed several of the older style units.

John
    2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by HelicopterJohn View Post
    Hi,

Do you have a picture of your PCOOL unit? I have fixed several of the older style units.

John

It's a 2004 vf2 s's don't have a pic yet will get one tomorrow.

PCOOL Picture

Hi,

Here is a picture of the older style like the ones I fixed with a new micro switch.

Check out the thread that I referenced in post #18 of this thread.

John
    2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by HelicopterJohn View Post
    Hi,

Here is a picture of the older style like the ones I fixed with a new micro switch.

Check out the thread that I referenced in post #18 of this thread.

John

thats the one , i read the link im going to take it apart and see whats the issue if its the microswitch ill take a drive to frys.Thanks for the follow up.

HAAS PCOOL REPAIR

Hi,

What happens is that the micro switch counts the pulses at the detent passes over the cogs in the black wheel. Once the contacts inside the micro switch are worn out they start missing counts and it screws up the operation of the unit. T couldn't find the OEM switch as that company went out of business or something like that. I had to improvise and I think you will see in the pictures I had to add some wires to the replacement micro switch to make the necessary contact to the circuit board. I also think I had to utilized some 2/56 Screws and nuts to attach the new micro switch to the circuit board. These can be found at your local hobby shop. I believe there is a small set screw that can be adjusted once the new micro switch is installed in case it is still missing counts on the wheel. It has been a while and I actually didn't go back and look at the thread so I may have missed something. If you have any issues just send me a PM or e-mail and I will do what I can to help you.

Good Luck on your repair.

John

Mocon is not the issue with a slow boot up, as the mocon has no involvement with initial power up. I would guess strongly that you have a flaky,weak low volt power supply, or depending on machine vintage, the main contactor that kicks it on and off could be defective. If you look at the name plate on rear of contactor(use mirror) if it is a Carlo G......brand, replace it ASAP with Siemens or GE. The Carlo brand contactors have caused several major issues in the field.

Re: spigot failure

Hello guys,

Our 2004 VF2 P-Cool Spigot will not move at all. We have taken the cover off and the gear turns very easily. It seems like it is the motor circuit. Is there a fuse in-line somewhere?

My error - 196 (M) COOLANT SPIGOT FAILURE - Spigot failed to achieve commanded location after two (2) attempts.

Re: spigot failure

Quote Originally Posted by hutch07 View Post
    Hello guys,

Our 2004 VF2 P-Cool Spigot will not move at all. We have taken the cover off and the gear turns very easily. It seems like it is the motor circuit. Is there a fuse in-line somewhere?

My error - 196 (M) COOLANT SPIGOT FAILURE - Spigot failed to achieve commanded location after two (2) attempts.
    No inline fuse. Check with a volt meter to see if you are getting power at the plug for spigot motor.

If you are getting power but no movement then it is probably a dead motor. If your motor gearbox looks like this:
    https://www.grainger.com/product/DAY...rchQuery=2l004
    this Dayton version is identical to the Haas version.

If different, then you will need to search for something different otherwise Haas will only replace entire unit.

Good luck.

Unhappy Re: spigot failure

Attachment 319342

This is ours. We'll be tearing into it... It has voltage at the motor but no movement.

Page 2 of 2 12