586,655 active members*
2,736 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > needed bobcad v23 change

needed bobcad v23 change

having a problem with profile milling and would like to know if there are plans to fix with a future upgrade?
    i am profiling a part using g41 cutter comp and a circular lead in and out. my problem is that using circular lead the program generates a straight move before the 90 degree circular move. alot of the time these two moves put you starting on the part and will crash.
    i want to know if there are plans to be able to control the straight line move before the circular moving and also to be able to control how much of an arc to use, like 45 degrees or various angles. this mod alone would greatly increase the the way users are having to get a good start point for profile milling with cutter comp and circular leads without having to draw extra geometry to compensate for this problem.
    any input would be greatly appreciated.

Most controls need a straight line move when applying cutter comp. The feature could be improved to apply a move equal to the cutter radius (really not moving at all), then sweep into the arc, yes. Not having the move at all would be problematic.

My old Centroid CNC4 control would apply the comp to the right or left of the very first move, so I understand your dilemma.

My fix was to call out a lead-in radius larger than the tool diameter to allow room for the offset move.

moldmker

clarification

the problem is not that the software does the move but the problem is that it wont let you control it. the move it makes is perpendicular to the circular move toward the center of the radius. even if it were made so that the straight move went tangent to the start of the arc it would be 100 times better.the best case is to be able to control all the aspects of the option.

Ok, I got ya. I agree, some development in this area would be welcome.

I also think the Lead in/Lead out moves can be improved.

Why is that when I use cutter comp it programs the tool path only from the part geometry instead of the tool center line?

I would also like to see an approach and depart move to allow the cutter compensation to be turned on before the part geometry and turned off after the part geometry.