586,116 active members*
3,281 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > LinuxCNC (formerly EMC2) > pncconf: servo configuration program wishlist wanted

pncconf: servo configuration program wishlist wanted

Greeting.
    I have been working on a configuration program for servo / hardware stepper machines.
    It is based on / similar to, stepconf. Bit of a write up here:

http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Pncconf

It requires a Mesa card (for now at least) for the servo / stepper signals and can use parallel ports for general I / O. It's far from finished but can configure some basic machines (as far as I have tested it). It's only available in the development version of EMC.

But what I want to know is what users liked / disliked with stepconf and or think is important for a servo configuration program to cover.
    Now stepconf was made to be a basic configurator of software stepper machines and pncconf is made for much more complicated servo and or stepper machines so pncconf will be more complicated to use.
    AS pncconf was based from stepconf it uses the same 'wizard' approach as a user interface, so if you didn't like that...

Pncconf will make using custom HAL file easier to integrate.
    One of the main objectives is to eliminate the need to tweak the auto configured files for the majority of situations. Making it possible to reload a configuration change a couple of things and resave without having to go back and fix all the tweaks again.
    Anyone interested in helping with testing or developing I would be interested in hearing from. This is really my first program with Python so certainly could be improved on.

Chris M

Hi Chris, that looks awesome !!!

Personally I am building another machine and intend to use a 7i43 so this is great news.

Stepconf was great for step/dir systems and I used it for my current (first) machine, I can't really think of anything I didn't like about it, simple and quick to setup a relatively simple machine. Easily saved config files have got me out of hot water a couple of times with dead hard disk drives.

As for a true closed loop servo setup, the PID tuning function you mention would be terrific, I tuned my current machine by "feel" and while it worked I am sure the ability to graph the commanded position and actual position over a move would make tuning a breeze.

I am happy to use my new machine as a guinea pig but please be aware that I am still building the thing and will probably be a couple of months at least away from having anything moving, if you still need testers in a couple of months then I will put my hand up.

Cheers.

Russell.

Chris,

It is looking pretty good in the documentation. I have a few servos (but no drives yet). I am interested in testing it out after I finish a few of my many projects.

I have been working on an H-bridge design based on Samco's work and I would most likely use a 7i43. But it will be at least a couple of months before I am ready to begin testing. I have to finish my current router first.

Alan

Chris

I have a Hurco knee mill with a 5I23 and the 7i33 and 7I37. That I need to udate from 2.2.8 to 2.3.2. I still need to set backlash comp and a few other details. would that be a good test. I'm new to CNC and Linux.

Donnie

Well I'm glad for the positive response. Pncconf is not finished, it's in alpha stage-meaning that not all the features work and the ones that do probably have bugs in them. Thats one reason to test, the other one is I would like to know if it's intuitive enough, yet still allows the user to make a pretty sophisticated configuration .
    Pncconf is not available in EMC 2.3.x, it's only available with the development version 'master' and must be built from source code. Whick means you must commit some time to learning how to do that.look here:
    http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emc...04_from_source
    Right now. unless you like to tinker and don't mind dealing with buggy programs, you'll have to wait. Hopefully when you guys are ready so will pncconf!
    If your adventurous , download the source try it and let me know what you think.
    I have not tested it with the Mesa 7i43 or 5i22 as I don't have one.
    DonnieTE I will have to add the mesa 5i23 to pncconf before you could use it.

Chris M

Hi Chris, I will try to drop a few hints to the lady of the house that a 7i43 would make a perfect fathers day gift

I also intend to use HID devices with EMC, as in here :

http://www.franksworkshop.com.au/EMC...mp/hidcomp.htm

Mainly for I/O and leave the mesa card mainly for PWM generation and encoder's, but I guess there will also be some I/O on the MESA.

My question is will Pncconf affect anything I do with HID devices or vice versa ? Sorry if this is an obvious question, my EMC setup experience is limited to stepconf as I haven't needed to go any further...yet.

Anyway I am willing to give it a go, I can produce power stages easily enough and have a few servo's sitting in a drawer so this will give me something to do, I just need to get hold of a card...I will let you know how I go.

Cheers.

Russell.

hi chris
    nice work on the servo wizard
    what is ment by single sensor on spindle feedback type? quad and none at pritty self explaining

maybe a ? help next to things like dac output scale, encoder lines per rev, maybe quick formula or 1 sentence explaining the option input for quick dirty ref (i know ppl should read manual but maybe a welcome addon? more polishing the surface than anything maybe)

also is there away to make wizard try find parallel ports when use have more than 1? this is where ppl seem to fall over when they have to find there 2nd port by gussing games or using the command line.

keep up grate work looks good ill check it out on git when i get 5mins.

Russell
    I see no immediate reason pncconf could not be made to work with hid devices. Yo can add the Hal loadusr command in pncconf and connect signals in a custom HAL file. The only thing that comes to mind is if pncconf already connects to signals that you want to but I don't think that will be a big deal to fix.

Kudos

single sensor is a 1ppr encoder (basically an index). It's not recommended but possible.
    the page you are quoting from is a little different now.
    Actually there are (will be) help pages for all the pages. just click help on the bottom left.
    As for the second parport I could make pncconf display a terminal and automatically do the command line search.

Ya I have to check in (push) my latest changes soon too. Pncconf may be a little broken right now in master. (but won't hurt to play with it)
    one thing to note, if you want to try any of the axis tests you must have a system link to the mesa firmware as per the manual (under hostmot2) pncconf looks for firmware under lib/firmware/hm2-trunk

well be afew days before my next load of mesa cards get over the pond to us just sorting out load of other hardware too
    but once i get PC stuff together ill give it a check out etc keep up the grate work

Sounds like a plan, I will get started on some kind of test board to mount a servo/H Bridge and 7i43 on since my next machine will be a while away, it would be nice to get a head start on the electronics.

Cheers.

Russell.

Trying to work out how to use it for steppers, specifically to drive my 4th axis at a constant speed.

I tried pncconf in my virtual machine/simulator but did not find the option for stepper set up. I looked in to the manual but also came up blank. Am I missing something?

I am also puzzled by the "mesa" card. I use the lpt port and have no clue how to make the configuration for it.

Oh, if I can not use pncconf to make my 4th axis spin, just let me know so I can focus on other options
    Sven
    http://www.puresven.com/?q=building-cnc-router

PNCconf is used for Mesa card based machines. stepper or servo
    If you wish to to use the parallel port to make step pulses the you must use stepconf.

I think that is what you meant.

Ah, thanks!

I'll look in a different direction!
    Sven
    http://www.puresven.com/?q=building-cnc-router