586,105 active members*
3,198 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

New Power Supply for my X2

Hey guys, I found a web site showing how to upgrade the power supply on my X2 mill and am really happy with the results. I found a power supply on E-Bay for $25.00 and spent another $25.00 on an enclosure and a few other misc. parts.

The mill has a lot more torque verses the stock power supply, and the spindle speed went up from 1700 RPM to 2200 RPM in the low speed and from 4000 RPM to 6200 RPM in the high speed. You must have a belt drive to do this up grade because your stock gear train won't handle the extra torque.

I also made a new control box for the switches and is a little easier to use verses the stock unit. I don't have to turn the speed control switch every time I want to turn on and off the machine. The new box allows me to keep the speed setting and turn the motor on and off with a flip switch. I also added an extra switch for a future spindle light. There is a push button switch on the side for an E-Stop and it activates a relay inside to kill the power to the whole unit. The silver flip switch is for forward and reverse so I can use taps on the machine if needed. I also added a fan to the inside of the power supply and have the vent holes covered with a piece of window screen to keep unwanted things from entering.

Here is a link for the site.
    http://www.harrisson.biz/controller/power.htm

Questions??? Feel free to ask.

P.S. If any one has a WORKING E-Mail for Harrison (The guy who made the web site) I would like to have it. He makes a belt drive kit for the X2 and I can't get ahold of him.

Dale P.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02505.JPG   DSC02527.JPG   DSC02528.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by ibuildstuff4u View Post
    Hey guys, I found a web site showing how to upgrade the power supply on my X2 mill and am really happy with the results. I found a power supply on E-Bay for $25.00 and spent another $25.00 on an enclosure and a few other misc. parts.

The mill has a lot more torque verses the stock power supply, and the spindle speed went up from 1700 RPM to 2200 RPM in the low speed and from 4000 RPM to 6200 RPM in the high speed. You must have a belt drive to do this up grade because your stock gear train won't handle the extra torque.

I also made a new control box for the switches and is a little easier to use verses the stock unit. I don't have to turn the speed control switch every time I want to turn on and off the machine. The new box allows me to keep the speed setting and turn the motor on and off with a flip switch. I also added an extra switch for a future spindle light. There is a push button switch on the side for an E-Stop and it activates a relay inside to kill the power to the whole unit. The silver flip switch is for forward and reverse so I can use taps on the machine if needed. I also added a fan to the inside of the power supply and have the vent holes covered with a piece of window screen to keep unwanted things from entering.

Here is a link for the site.
    http://www.harrisson.biz/controller/power.htm

Questions??? Feel free to ask.

P.S. If any one has a WORKING E-Mail for Harrison (The guy who made the web site) I would like to have it. He makes a belt drive kit for the X2 and I can't get ahold of him.

Dale P.
    Sonny Harrison has apparently gone out of business....

Regards,
    Ray L.

Bummer, glad to see this web site is still being hosted. The new power supply is a nice up grade for the mill and I'm really glad I did it to mine.

I wanted to buy his belt drive kit but could never get ahold of him and had to settle for a different one. The Harrison kit looked nicer for the same price.

Thanks,
    Dale P.

since the web site is gone do you have any info on the power supply?
    thnksa,
    mike

Yes, give me a day or two and I will make a post with picts of the up grade.

Dale P.

Looking forward to a "How to" for this! My CNC should be done withing the week.

I'm really short on time so I have to keep this short. Here is a picture of the board and how it hooks up. I do not have the exact model number at this time since the Harrison Site is no longer working. I will have to open up my mill and take a look, but right now I'm packing to work out of town for the week, so I can't take a look till the weekend.

The new power supply gave my mill a lot more torque and RPM and I'm very happy with the up grade.

I also added a new control box and gave the spindle a forward and reverse switch so I can do taping if needed. I also installed a nice quiet cooling fan and a relay setup for a side mounted E-Stop switch. There is also a switch for a future spindle light I plan to build.

Hope that helps for now.

Dale P.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KLMH board for mill.jpg   mill 1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by ibuildstuff4u View Post
    I'm really short on time so I have to keep this short. Here is a picture of the board and how it hooks up. I do not have the exact model number at this time since the Harrison Site is no longer working. I will have to open up my mill and take a look, but right now I'm packing to work out of town for the week, so I can't take a look till the weekend.

The new power supply gave my mill a lot more torque and RPM and I'm very happy with the up grade.

I also added a new control box and gave the spindle a forward and reverse switch so I can do taping if needed. I also installed a nice quiet cooling fan and a relay setup for a side mounted E-Stop switch. There is also a switch for a future spindle light I plan to build.

Hope that helps for now.

Dale P.
    There's really nothing special about that particular motor controller. The surpluscenter.com 11-2269 or 11-2102 controllers will work as well. I'd recommend getting the heat sinks for either of them.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Rotary Table

I know I am a little late to this link but can you tell me what size rotary table that is in the first photo
    Thanks
    Ed

Yes, it's a 6" table that I bought from Grizzly. It was just under $300 for the table, tail stock, and dividing plates. They had it on sale last month for $265.00 and you may still be able to get the deal.

It sits short enough that I don't loose too much room in the Z axis, but is large enough to hold some pretty big parts. After having the 6" table I would not go with any thing smaller. I personally think a 4" one would be too small for most jobs.

Dale P.

6" Rotary Table

Thanks Dale
    I am glad to find that out I thought the 4" would be a bit small. I am going to check Grizzley for that deal
    Ed

6" Rotary Table

Dale I checked Grizzly and the sale goes on until Sept.
    I have another question and since you have this Rotary Table You are the one who can best answer my question. I see that it has everything you need,but it measures in 20 second increments All of the others I have looked at are in 10 second increments is it a big deal.
    You are probably saying what a rookie question that is but I wanted to know before ordering
    Thanks in advance
    Ed

Any clues as to the part number of this board yet?

The board in the picture is one of the KB KBM series of drives, they can be had in KB or Baldor, same board, you can get 120vac or 240vac input for 90v and 180v motors.
    http://www.kbelectronics.com/
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    The board in the picture is one of the KB KBM series of drives, they can be had in KB or Baldor, same board, you can get 120vac or 240vac input for 90v and 180v motors.
    http://www.kbelectronics.com/
    Al.
    So something like this will do the same job?
    http://www.solidstatedrives.com/(S(j...ookieSupport=1

I've just had my X2 motor drive throw in the towel.
    Will the 180v output give me a lower speed than the rated 220v? Or is the original controller unlikely to have ever put put the full 220v?
    My X2 CNC Brain Build: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61345
    Gecko G250 wiring errors: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68960

Those should work, they all use a full wave bridge with 2 of the rectifiers being SCR's and are connected across the 240vac.
    They output the maximum DC voltage you will get with this configuration across your AC input.
    I just converted one for a bridgeport higher HP motor by replacing the Bridge components with beefier ones.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

the part # Sonny used was KBLC-19PM

I made a local copy of the page from his web site last year, I bought the parts to do the conversion but haven't had a chance to do it.

I had bought one of his fan kits and some of his GIBs, fan kit was good, GIBs not so good - sorry to hear he's out of business.

If anyone wants the page let me know, I can zip it up and email it

Yes, that's the one. My mill is bolted to the work bench and I can't see the board with out moving the mill or pulling off the control box which is something I didn't want to do. Thanks for posting the answer.

I purchased my board off E-Bay for around $25.00 and am very happy with the results.

Dale P.

http://szabaga.com/x2/power/
    Hosted! Thanks DogWood!

Just finished mine. Board was $25 used and about $15 in supplies at Radio Shack and the HP resistor on eBay. Need to get a less flimsy mounting solution, but that's what I had sitting around. I reused the old wire and wire isolator tubes.

For some reason the factory little fan power supply is only putting out 4.4v when 110v is applied. Any ideas or is it just junk?

Also, the website mentioned the X2 motor was 1/2 hp. Mine says 4/5hp. Should I upgrade to a 3/4 hp speed resistor since that's the closest to 4/5ths that is sold?

Now it's enclosure time. Hoss's Extended X-Axis is about 25% done too!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG00031-20090823-1523.jpg   IMG00030-20090823-1521.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12