586,065 active members*
4,575 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Software Limit Issues

I have two Tormachs that are being used in a instructional setting. None of the students have ever used a cnc mill or with some even a manual mill before. Because of this, the idea of a travel limit seems to elude most of them. And hence, I am getting called over constantly from other work to fix the "broken" machine. I want this to stop and software limits are a perfectly reasonable solution

I am going to use the backdoor for Tormachs software so I am able to implement software limits, however before I fax in my lawyer sheet to Tormach I would like to know what the problems are with using software limits. I have been using them on my own machine for three years and have never had a problem. Nor can I find any mention of the rumored problems through google/yahoo/cnczone search. Only Tormach has stated there is a problem and will not say what it is.

Soooo, what is the problem and how much of a problem is it. Thx

soft limits

I use Mach3 with the tormach screens and use soft limits. Great when jogging as you can jog rapid and the software will decel as it approaches the switches. Have not had an issue yet. It is useful that when a program is loaded it automatically checks the toolpath and give an error pop-up if it detects an overlimit.

And did you use the software tormach provided or did you just use mach with the tormach profile loaded? Thx

I downloaded Mach3 (don't have the revision # on hand) and run the Tormach profile (I think; it was a while ago) It gives me all the options that Tormach locks down. Mostly use the screen editor so I can add buttons or features that relate to the product I'm making. I kind of remember setting values in the config window that are used for the soft limits since they weren't already set up. Also added a button for limits over ride ignore on the settings page so I can get out of the ditch after a softlimit or limit switch has tripped. I never bothered with getting permission from teacher, just downloaded from the mothership and copied the license file into the folder.