586,075 active members*
3,967 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Treadmill 2hp dc motors, were they go?

Treadmill 2hp dc motors, were they go?

Any one know of a site that still sells the ~2hp 90vdc treadmill motors? I have seen them on eBay and other sites for years, now don't see any.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails motor.JPG  
    Dennis

Unhappy

DennisCNC,

Surplus Center had thousands of them, they have been sold out for several months now.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/home.asp

Sorry to pass along bad news.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

I was looking for some at the beginning of the summer and had the same results you did. Maybe the copper inside was worth more than the surplus price?

BobH

I contacted a company in china about them, but seems they want to sell a container load of them only.....
    Dennis

another option

It seems they are all going to wind generators. I see alot of those being sold for windmills.
    I can give you a model number (M-220686) of the one I bought to replace the one I burned up like yours. I found it on Ebay and it doesnt have a manufacture name. It's from a treadmill like the others but that's all the info I can find. This thing has awesome power but the rpms are lower so I am going to have to change my pulley system. I can drive a .875 spade thru 3/4" aluminum at about 4-1/2 IPM. The mount also has a wider spread on the bolt holes but easy enough to overcome. Hope this helps you and if anyone can find the maker please pass it on.

Bruce

Over the years there have been many 'Treadmill' motors sold of various types, usually surplus after a Treadmill manufacturer go out of business in that highly competitive market, The only one I found that had quality was one made by Baldor.
    You are probably better off to look for something like an older DC brushed servo motor such as Getty's or similar make, the ones with the Fanuc or Mitsubishi label on them usually ask too much, I have got nice large DC servo's with Tach and encoder for ~$50.00 on ebay at different times.
    The Tach allows for tight rpm control with KB or Baldor SCR controllers.
    I can imagine what quality the R.O.C. motors are, if their AC motors are anything to go by, when you come to need replacement brushes, good luck.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

"Treadmill motors" appeared on surplus sites after the personal exercise equipment market bubble went bust. All those excess motors passed through the system and are long gone now. They were sold at a loss and there won't be anymore because it was a one-time thing. I talked to some people from companies that took a bath ($$$) on dumping those motors.

Mariss

Go on craigslist and pick up a treadmill for free - $25. I got one a couple of weeks ago in great shape. It actually had a baldor motor on it and was fully functional. So I got the drive to boot. All for ten bucks. And I just had to go and get it, 15 minutes away.

That motor is going on my old collet lathe. I had planned on using a freq drive to run the three phase motor, but I have experienced problems with electrical noise coming off the VFD and wrecking havac with the pulse stream going to the stepper drives on my mill.

I'm looking for constant supply of this type and size of motor. Any ideas on what local manufacturers might make them?
    Dennis

The Universal motor can be used on AC & DC also, these are used in routers and hand tools etc.
    But for P.M. shunt DC motors, I don't think their are many US manufacturers left, Baldor still sell them I believe, but you won't get them for Surplus prices.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisCNC View Post
    I'm looking for constant supply of this type and size of motor. Any ideas on what local manufacturers might make them?
    Pacific Science also made these motors: http://www.pacsci.com/

Also Magnatek made some.

What do you know, Amazon sells them...
    Dennis