586,116 active members*
3,511 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Sherline mill, what accesories to get?

Sherline mill, what accesories to get?

Hi I am new here,

I am intending to buy a sherline mill (2010) and wondered what accesories to get.
    I am familiar with other industrial mills and know that the standart machines use "collets" in order to mount the end mills, what does the sherline use? do I have to get adaptors for the collets? is there a good quick changable adaptor? BTW I use metric standart.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by assafwei View Post
    Hi I am new here,

I am intending to buy a sherline mill (2010) and wondered what accesories to get.
    I am familiar with other industrial mills and know that the standart machines use "collets" in order to mount the end mills, what does the sherline use? do I have to get adaptors for the collets? is there a good quick changable adaptor? BTW I use metric standart.

Thanks.
    For certain size end mills, you can get a collet set. They have a metric and imperial set, but this will limit your shank size. The spindle is a MT1. They also have end mill holders that screw on to the outer threads of the spindle, but register against the squared spindle surfaces. Sherline itself sells these, and they change rather quickly. A2ZCNC also sells a line of screw on holders as well as some other screw on tools, like a drill chuck holder that screws on. They are priced lower than the Sherline equivalent, but I've never personally tried them. I plan to soon though.

Quote Originally Posted by assafwei View Post
    Hi I am new here,

I am intending to buy a sherline mill (2010) and wondered what accesories to get......
    Check the contents of Sheline's "-A" tooling packages. They bundle many of the things you will need and discount the package over purchasing the items individually. Includes flycutter, collet set, vise, hold downs, a 3/8 solid holder and starter set of endmills and centerdrills.

Some other items which many people purchase not included in the tooling bundles are:

Rotary table, right angle plate, tailstock and live center if you need a 4th axis
    10,000 rpm pulley set for engraving
    Fixture plate

Fred Smith - IMService
    http://www.imsrv.com/sherlinemachines/