586,036 active members*
3,979 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

HELP ORGANIZING cnc files

hello cam experts i am new programing with software, i have been programing the lathe by hand for about 4 years but now i program mill and lathe with software and i have this new job where everything its a mess in the hardrive of the computer , can you please help with guidelines on how to organize de cnc files and the drawing files in a effective and profesional way thank you all for your help and time.

Your problem is probably a disorganized shop office.
    I have worked in about 10 shops, 5 were organized and happened to use the same file system, the others were like your present disorganized situation.
    The 5 organized shops used a system that started with 0001 and a prefix, such as VERT-0001.
    The next would be JIMB-0002 etc, the customer part number was not used.
    A single prefix (V-0001, J-0002) or double prefix (VE-0001, JI-0002) can also be used.
    This allows to either organize by the number or the customer prefix.
    File folders, certs, programs, special tools, finished stock, prints, and anything else pertaining to the part would use this common number.
    You should start with a spreadsheet with a column for the customer prefix, a column for the 4 digit number described, a column for the customer part number, and a column for the title. This would be the master list.
    Any filename used should start with this number, the customer prefix letters can be added if desired.
    A 4 letter unique customer prefix has proved to be the best since it allows numerical or customer order.
    If this is a large shop, with many files, 5 numbers may be needed (00001 to 99999).
    Additional programs or files can have a suffix, like JIMB-0002A, JIMB-0002B, or even JIMB-0002B1 etc.
    One shop uses QuickBooks inventory items to track the numbers instead of a spreadsheet, however this would require the cooperation of the bookkeeper which may be a problem since it would cut into the bookkeepers solitaire time.
    This same shop uses the number to organize file folders with paperwork, the number to organize scanned prints, the prefix along with the number to organize finished stock by customer, and the prefix-number to organize process and inspection files.
    Even though the both the prefix and the number portion are used everything can be found in under a minute!
    Start with 0000 to explain what the system is for future users. The first real file should be XXXX-0001 (some like to start with 1001).
    If this works for you, you might consider this filing system for the whole shop.
    Good luck.